GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Maintenance Expectations for 1995 525i with 190K

Default Maintenance Expectations for 1995 525i with 190K

Excuse my ignorance, but I am new to this forum. I have been considering whether or not to keep my '95 525i with 190K (I have had it for 6 years and 160K and kept up all required maintenance). It looks great and runs well. I have had very few problems (changed water pump and O2 sensor). 90% of my miles have been highway at speeds of 70mph or so. How long can I expect it to keep going and what big maintenance events can I expect? I have stopped using the dealer and the mechanic I'm with now recommends changing the radiator before it fails. What else?

Is there a source which details recommended maintenance for high mileage BMWs?

Should I start looking for a new(used) car?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

RobPatt '93 525i @ 123K Guest

Default Well....

Nothing lasts forever. But if you've kept up all required maintenance, it may be time for some more detailed preventative maint. Radiators & hoses fail. Consider the climates the car sees - that may impact things like the crank position sensor, fuseable link, solder on the LKM.... relays, coil packs, caps on the instrument panel...transmissions(?)... guibo? And I think most of the things here are fairly simple and inexpensive, except the tranny. If it's a great car, and it's not too old yet... fix 'er up and go another 190K! Cheers, Rob.

check this link:http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

darron

Quote Originally Posted by SU1973
    Excuse my ignorance, but I am new to this forum. I have been considering whether or not to keep my '95 525i with 190K (I have had it for 6 years and 160K and kept up all required maintenance). It looks great and runs well. I have had very few problems (changed water pump and O2 sensor). 90% of my miles have been highway at speeds of 70mph or so. How long can I expect it to keep going and what big maintenance events can I expect? I have stopped using the dealer and the mechanic I'm with now recommends changing the radiator before it fails. What else?

Is there a source which details recommended maintenance for high mileage BMWs?

Should I start looking for a new(used) car?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Preventative is the key with these cars to prevent major problems. Replace the radiator and all the hoses including the thermostat and housing at the same time and you will be done there for 2 years til you change the antifreeze again.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks to Rob, Darron and Regal. I think I'll hang on to her for another 100K or so, get going on some of the preventative maintenance, and save the monthly payment.

i would start with the radiator, water pump, t'stat, and if you haven't replaced the t'stat housing with teh aluminum one, do that. Also, make sure that valve cover gasket is not leaking.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

It is usually a lot cheaper to keep a car running than the depreciation of buying a new car. And with a BMW, if it is running well, there is a tremendous driving satisfaction that other companys cars do not provide. What car could possibly be better than a well kept E34.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

change ALL of the cooling hoses out. you have the luxury of having the res. mounted on the radiator, so there are fewer to change. change all the little ones (HCV) too and you won't have anything cooling related to worry about for a good long time.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."