GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banjo bolt backed itself out, front end ticks now... how bad is that??

Default Possible that the ticking sound is not the valve, but

could be injector noise or something else. Stethescope to the valve cover might asnwer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    So, a ticking noise, caused by oil starvation off the spray bar... the general consensus is... dangerous, or no?

hard to say without hearing the noise, it may be fine if the lobes survived, sometimes they need sometime to reseat to the rockers after oil starvation
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    hard to say without hearing the noise, it may be fine if the lobes survived, sometimes they need sometime to reseat to the rockers after oil starvation
    It's just a louder tapping noise, nothing too horrid, but noticible. Sounds like a misadjusted valve maybe, but I did them all fine, and double checked. There was no signifigant scoring on the cam lobes, what would you think the first thing to be damaged from oil starvation would be? If something were to fail, what would go? And, now that it's spraying oil again, is that going to get any worse, or will it just stay the same?

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    could be injector noise or something else. Stethescope to the valve cover might asnwer that question.
    The noise really just started happening recently, and when I pulled the valve cover, I found the banjo bolt lying off to the side. I doubt it's injector noise...

drive it easy for a day or two and keep a ear on it, it should get quieter as it cleans up, some fresh oil can't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    It's just a louder tapping noise, nothing too horrid, but noticible. Sounds like a misadjusted valve maybe, but I did them all fine, and double checked. There was no signifigant scoring on the cam lobes, what would you think the first thing to be damaged from oil starvation would be? If something were to fail, what would go? And, now that it's spraying oil again, is that going to get any worse, or will it just stay the same?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    drive it easy for a day or two and keep a ear on it, it should get quieter as it cleans up, some fresh oil can't hurt
    That's what I figured, I like to drive for the car a day or two after a valve adjustment to run the oil thru the filter a bit, catch anything that may have floated its way in when the cover was off. I'll change the oil Sunday, maybe throw some fuel system cleaner thru it before I do that. I only ran it for about 15 seconds after the job yesterday, so with the oil being dirty, shitty check valve, etc, it may not have been pumping up to it's full potential yet. We'll see if it gets any better...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12