GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Intake manifold removal.....

Default Intake manifold removal.....

Planning on removing my M50 intake manifold to help determine whether I'm burning oil due to valve guides, seals (I believe this was recommended by Bill R). Wondering whether i should be prepared for any trickery on the part of my vehicle. Any special tools required or techiques not mentioned in the literature.

Thanks again,

Dave M

no special tools. are you "completely" removing the intake manifold from underhood? if you are, you can't do so unless you know how to unclip the throttle and CC cables. otherwise, it can quite comfortably sit under the hood while you look into the intake valve ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Planning on removing my M50 intake manifold to help determine whether I'm burning oil due to valve guides, seals (I believe this was recommended by Bill R). Wondering whether i should be prepared for any trickery on the part of my vehicle. Any special tools required or techiques not mentioned in the literature.

Thanks again,

Dave M
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

As long as I can see/access enough to determine whether oil is accumulating, I'll be happy. Is it a PITA to unclip throttle/CC? You likely wouldn't mention unless it was.

I'll be taking photos on friday for those who care to provide an opinion on my burning oil quandary.

the occasions when i need to remove my intake manifold from my car, i leave it in, as i havent yet figured out how to remove the throttle cable from my car without breaking it (it looks unusual, perhaps is nonstandard on my car). perhaps someone that has removed them can chime in about how to do it, i'd appreciate it too.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    the occasions when i need to remove my intake manifold from my car, i leave it in, as i havent yet figured out how to remove the throttle cable from my car without breaking it (it looks unusual, perhaps is nonstandard on my car). perhaps someone that has removed them can chime in about how to do it, i'd appreciate it too.
    I know that i removed the throttle cables from my manifold when I removed the head, problem is, I can't remember what it looked like. Can you send me a pic of the linkage on the throttle body?

If I am not mistaken, there is a rubber grommet that the sheath of the cable attaches to that you have to man-handle out of a bracket first, from there it gets foggy. I remember that once that is out, it is fairly straight forward.

Send me a pic by e-mail... scouncil@ec.rr.com
    Scott
    Wilmington, NC

01 525iA For Sale
    Coming Soon: 2005 X3 3.0i
    05 Jeep GCL HEMI
    85 318iA SOLD
    96 Jeep GCL SOLD

the part i never got to work was getting the white endpiece off, the grometted parts were easy for me. local sunset is around 830, so i took this with my new digital camera about 10 mins ago, ie its blurry unless you size it down.

Ahh yes, now it is coming back to me. The cable slides through that metal barrell or cylinder. To remove the THROTTLE cable (closest to the driver's side), you must un-snap the barrell from the plastic retainer. If I remember correctly, there is a slot cut in the metal linkage that you can slide the cable through, toward the driver's side of the car.

The CRUISE Cable is a little different. Un-snap the barrel, pull it away from the retainer and turn it 90 degrees so that it is vertical. Then it will pull back through the plastic retainer. It is a little tight but that is how it is designed.

I hope that this helps. I wish I had clearer memories of this procedure. (I wish I had taken pictures.) I had to remove the cruise module several times during the ownership of the e34 to clean the contacts on the board inside. I got pretty good at removing the throttle cables.
    Last edited by sbcncsu; 07-01-2004 at 07:41 AM.
    Scott
    Wilmington, NC

01 525iA For Sale
    Coming Soon: 2005 X3 3.0i
    05 Jeep GCL HEMI
    85 318iA SOLD
    96 Jeep GCL SOLD