GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Just got some E38 wheels...what PSI should I be running?

Default Just got some E38 wheels...what PSI should I be running?

Just picked up some 16x8 E38 wheels with a set of 225/55's in the Yokohama AVS dB S2 variety. Vehicle is a '95 525i.

Can anyone give me an idea of what psi I should be running?

Gracias-
    Last edited by Aaron Bakos; 06-27-2004 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added some more info

I run 34 front, 37 rear.

Thanks- I'll give it a shot

I think this is more subjective preference. On my 17” wheels, I like to have 37 psi front and 33 psi for the rear (that’s cold tires). Remember, the tire pressure will increase as they become hot (3-4 psi). Since I don’t usually have rear passenger(s), I like this setup. It seems easier over bumps. Many recommend that you should have the rear with more pressure than front for these cars but for me, this works the best for me. For my winter tires, I have 16” wheels and I like to use 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. Correct me if I’m wrong, with more front pressure, it will increase over-steer or decrease under-steer. With more rear pressure, it will decrease over-steer or increase under-steer. I think it is more of a preference. Whatever feels the best for you.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Default Make sure you check the clearance between the...

front strut tubes and the tire's sidewalls. The offset of the e38 wheels (at least the basketweaves) can cause the tire to contact the strut.
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L
    I think this is more subjective preference. On my 17” wheels, I like to have 37 psi front and 33 psi for the rear (that’s cold tires). Remember, the tire pressure will increase as they become hot (3-4 psi). Since I don’t usually have rear passenger(s), I like this setup. It seems easier over bumps. Many recommend that you should have the rear with more pressure than front for these cars but for me, this works the best for me. For my winter tires, I have 16” wheels and I like to use 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. Correct me if I’m wrong, with more front pressure, it will increase over-steer or decrease under-steer. With more rear pressure, it will decrease over-steer or increase under-steer. I think it is more of a preference. Whatever feels the best for you.
    I'll mess with it some, I really just needed a starting point. On the other hand, my front shocks are still factory along with the sway bars, which is a bit too cushy for me. Until I get the rest of it tightened up, the tire pressure isn't going to have to much of an impact. The wife wants some furniture...so all in due time

I just got the tires put on yesterday, and the short drive I went on gave me a good vibe about my decision to go with E38 wheels and the AVS dB S2's. My commute is about 35 miles each way, all highway, so by the end of the week I should start to have things figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    front strut tubes and the tire's sidewalls. The offset of the e38 wheels (at least the basketweaves) can cause the tire to contact the strut.
    JR
    Yeah I read the warning on Bruno's site. The tires spin free...I have to change rotors later this week so I'll inspect for wear on the tube then.