GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Whats so special about BMW coolant??

what is the difference between Green regular and German???? the most important reason is that green american coolants are BUFFERED as to make them phosphate free WRT pH. BMW and others actually ARE phosphate free, and contain the minimum silicates necessary that the water pump and other components are happy. water in an engine application undergoes changes in chemistry when exposed to the water jacket materials, rust, et cetera, heat. these coolants are made as to make these interactions as innocuous as possible when they inevitably happen...IE, a real world application would be water pump bearing death, or thermostat failure (or any other number of things that deal with chemistry) as a result of excess silicates (green stuff), or retarded rust buildup with time as a result of a more compatible chemistry of coolant. If myself, (or someone driving my car) avoids an unexpected coolant failure because the coolant is "workable" for another 20k miles or so, that's worth the extra $$$ to me, especially since most people today would drive a car with temps in the red to get to their destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    The way I look at it, these cars were $40-50K brand new. 12-15 years ago, I would have said you be nuts to not use BMW coolant, why risk it on an expensive car.

However, your car, and I mean ALL OF YOU, are worth what - maybe $5K? 6K? If you really like the car and you some how "fry" your engine because you didn't use BMW coolant, its what $3K or so for a rebuilt!

At this point, if you really don't want to spend the $18-24/gal (yikes, its really expensive in the SF Bay Area) to use BMW coolant, don't. What the hey, these old ass cars have seen their best days. Go on down to wal-mart, target, kragen/checkers or pep boy and get that "$2.99 special" and be done with it. Just remember to change every 2 years....
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

U mean the headgasket won't cook at sustained 275 degree whereas stock temperature is 190 degree?

hehehe... You're a funny guy. If you behave, I might have a doggy biscuit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    No wait, I'm just kidding I'm not really Rick L, darn these multiple personalties! I thought I had that under control.

QUOTE=Unregistered]Hey, looks who's talking!!! I'm registered and it's Rick L!!! I prefer to use this forum not logged in because it is easier for me to read different threads. So, if you want to criticize my comments, you could do so! IT IS RICK L!!! O.K.
    Grow up!!!
    [/QUOTE]
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

lee Guest

Default I don't get it?!...

Unregistered states:

<Wow, this is unbelievable! I’m trying to find an answer and some people get upset. Why is that? I find this forum to be very useful and answered many of my questions but why would anyone write a negative remark like this guy? Sign of immaturely? Maybe! Do I have a rice burner? NO. Do I use green coolant? Sometimes. You know, people who rip on you like this are the people of ignorance. If you want to be smart, write something more constructive! And yes, I’m serious! >

Why do you need some sort of "confirmation" that your BMW is required to use *only* BMW coolant? As the Vavoline site states, Zerex G48 is *BMW approved*. If that is not good enough, don't use it, period. Its your car, put in straight water, green, yellow, purple, or rainbow if you want.

If you don't wanna pay BMW prices, it appears that Jaguar, Saab, Volvo, VW and even RR coolants are also Zerex G48. Those might be cheaper, use them (OK, RR might be more expensive!). Alternatively, if you think "Mercedes approved" G05 is the same, use that. Just remember to change your coolant every 2 years....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345