GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Problems...Help!

Default 3 Problems...Help!

Hi guys...got a few problems...

Problem #1
    My right headlight is being very tempermental...when I turn the lights on...both my low beams come on...then after awhile the right side light goes off...then after I use the high beams a few time the right side comes on...then later it comes off...it comes and goes...and its quite annoying...I haven't changed the bulb yet...but I did look at it and it seems fine...anyone have an answer?

Problem #2
    I dunno if this is really a problem, but the car kinda is slow on starting...it takes a second or two...and it kinda makes that starting noise...then suddenly no noise...then the starting noise...and its starts...then sometimes after I drive it for a long time...go in to a store and come out and start it...it just starts right away..I dunno if its maybe the battery losing its ability to hold a charge...or maybe the distributor...Can anyone shed some light?

Problem #3
    I just bought an eibach spring kit...and it should be here in one week..paid a good price from it $195...so happy...but the local installation place wants $100 to install...I think I could do it myself...and I know you need a special compression tool...and I know kragen has a rent a tool program...so now all thats left is to get instructions on installing new springs...Can anyone give me instructions? maybe with pictures? LOL Thanks

Thanks for even reading all my problems and stuff...any help will be greatly appreciated...THANKS!

just try changing out the bulb first with a new one and see if it still does it (common sense, of course). if not that, clean the connector. or maybe the prongs have become corroded or oxydized or something? it sounds like somethings a lil loose or corroded

Thanks...go idea...u think wd40 would clean that connector up a bit?

i dunno if that problem is indicative of a dying Light Kontrol Module.. maybe yours needs to be resoldered. instructions for replacing shocks (and springs) are herehttp://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/johan/front_shocks/front_shocks.html

replacing the rears is in the menu under rear shocks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default 1. LKM 2. Fusible Link 3. $100 install looks cheap

1. As Ryan says the light going on and off after it gets hot is almost certainly the LKM (Light Kontrol Module - German spelling) in need of soldering the relay posts. Chech out www.bmwe34.net for the procedure.

2. The fusible link being cracked will cause the problems you are experiencing. It will be ok when hot (it expands and joins the break) but when cold it will shrink causing a break in the fuse material. I'm not sure what car you have but on a 525i the fusible link is beside the battery in the engine bay and in a 535i it is beside the battery under the rear seat.

3. $100 to install springs (I assume rear only) seems pretty cheap to me but if you are handy you could do it yourself

DAMn...

I hope its not the LKM like u guys say...I don't wanna go spend a weekend soldering stuff for my car....I haven't gotten much solder pratice...maybe like twice....for my 5th grade science project...

Anyone have a picture of the fusible link?

And the 100 dollars if for both front and rear installation..

Thanks for the info guys...I'll definitely look into everything you guys have said...

The LKM soldering only takes a few minutes, and it's a lot cheaper than buying another one, and even cheaper yet than hitting something when your headlights go out on a dark country highway!

Default One of my low beams was intermittant like that...

It turned out to be the bulb had fried but the filament halfs would periodically touch and the light would come back on. I found that I could turn on the lights and tap on the lens for that light and make it go on and off. When I replaced it I went ahead and did the 9005 upgrade.
    Mark Hall
    '95 525iA EAT chipped (just one now )
    '98 528iA

Well...I think it is the LKM...this morning I get up...took the battery of the charger...and went to start it...and yea I get that 2 second delay before the engine fires up...so its annoying...but I'm driving to work...and 30 mins later I remember to turn on my headlights...its board daylight by now...but by what you guys say...the lights should turn on...and after they have been on for awhile...they should stop working...or in my case my right side should stop working...so I go and flip the switch and they both come on...and I have them on for about 10 mins....so I really think it might be the LKM...

I read http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...trical/LKM.htm
    and I'm still kinda of confused...what do I need to do to fix the LKM? Just go over the relays and resolder the connections? or do I need to replace the relays?

Now about the fusible link...I figured out what it was and looked on www.bmwe34.net and I think thats gone bad too....*curses at car* anywayz...yea cold start had a 2 second delay...then after I got to the office..I was half an hour early...damn LA traffic is unpredictable...soo I turned my engine off and decided to poke around...then turn the engine back on..and it fired up quick....I looked at the fusible link...and it looks in perfect condition...but the site says u can't see if anything is wrong until you unscrew the nut....my question is...is it safe to unscrew with the battery plugged in? cuz theres a high voltage warning next to the link on the shock tower...and I wanna make sure I can still use my brain after this....also to how to I replace the links?

For the LKM, usually re-soldering the connections is good enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast