GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Painting???

Default Car Painting???

Since I got caught up in a severe hail storm last week, I am going to be getting all of the dents repaired and the local body shop is going to be painting the entire car. To be safe, I thought I'd run it by you guys and gals and see if anyone has had any experience with having their bimmer painted? If so, is there anything I need to be concerned about, or should be telling the body shop before they do the job? Also, I was wondering if pin stripping was standard on bimmers? I am thinking about telling them not to put it back on the car. TIA.
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

Unregistered Guest

Check with local BMW dealers and/or BMW clubs for references/recommendations. Glasurit paint, or whatever BMW uses, is probably unknown to Billy Bob or the local Earl Scheib franchise.

pin striping was standard im sure. i dont want mine on my car and i think it looks sporty w/o it. tell em not to

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpeedLimits
    Since I got caught up in a severe hail storm last week, I am going to be getting all of the dents repaired and the local body shop is going to be painting the entire car. To be safe, I thought I'd run it by you guys and gals and see if anyone has had any experience with having their bimmer painted? If so, is there anything I need to be concerned about, or should be telling the body shop before they do the job? Also, I was wondering if pin stripping was standard on bimmers? I am thinking about telling them not to put it back on the car. TIA.

My 540 has pinstriping; white on black, very subdued; looks hand painted like the bikes
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Pinstriping was applied at the dealership, another one of those high-profit dealer add-ons.

Bret.

Forget pinstripe... car look a whole lot better without it.

Thanks...you've helped me make up my mind...No pin striping! As for the painting, I am having it painted by a certified Ford dealership (the closest bimmer dealer is 45 minutes away) and not at a Billy-Bob body shop. So, I hope they know what they are doing. FYI. My insurance company gave me the name of three local body shops and I figured I should pick the one located at the dealership. My gut told me that they would be my best bet....we'll see.

I wanted to check with all of you to see if there is anything I need to advise them about before they go and paint my baby. I am excited about seeing all of the nicks and imperfection gone, but at the same time nervous. I do not want to lose the beautiful shine on my car. I am trying to be optimistic, but thought I better check and see if anyone has been through this experience and learned any lessons.

I would checkout those other body shops anyway.
    I checked out several local body shops recommended by my indy, and found that the least appealing one, located in a recycling yard, had a complete Glasurit painting system out back. Turns out that's all he did .. German cars. And he had a line of them in various stages of prep.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Can anyone shed some light on what is special about Glasurit paint? Other than the spelling. I work at a place that does urethane spray on painting, so I am fairly familiar with the application process. My initial assumption is that the spray guns would require a special nozzle/tip, but the rest of the system should be fine. Obviously, a good cleaning of the system is required before introducing a new type of paint. Other than that, I am not sure what could be so special about Glasurit paint that it would require a special type of painting system. But, I am ready for an education, so please help me out. TIA.

At the very least, I will check with the body shop to make sure they can work with it. I have a feeling, being that they are a Dupont paint shop, they plan to cross reference a similar Dupont paint -- I will check to make sure.

Default My car had white stripes too, the othe two black E34s in my neighborhood

have it too, I parked in the sun and let it get warm and peeled mine, then I got some bug and tar remover for whatever was left over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast