GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Small coolant leak in heater core

Loke Guest

Default Small coolant leak in heater core

Hello,

I suspect I have a small coolant leak in my heater core. When I turn on my heater system, I can for a brief period smell coolant. I mentioned this to my dealer today, and he actually suggested putting two spoons of cinnamon in the coolant system. The leak is probably small, and he expected a little cinnamon would stop the leak. However Im a little reluctant, and seek advice before proceeding. What about the professional coolant additives which is designed to block small radiator leaks? Dont I run the risk of blocking other things also? Heater control valve, aux water pump etc comes to mind. Any thoughts appreciated. (No bashing of my dealer though ;-P )

Cheers

cinnamon? hmmm, i've got a leak in my core as well. I'm not sure i want to put something i put on my toast in my cooling system :P Has anyone else heard of this?
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Loke Guest

Ive googled around, and I found hardly any reference to cinnamon usage in leaky radiators on english written pages. The procedure is very well known here in Scandinavia (Im from Norway btw). You must think Im joking :-)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...6btnG%3DSearch

But cinnamon on toast??!? We use cinnamon and sugar on pourage (?) but toast? No way... hehe

I've heard of 'pepper' stopping a small leak but have never had enough luck to just have a small leak to experiment myself.First I've heard of cinnamon.
    Mike

mikey535im...........1991 535im , Schwarz , H&R/Boge gas ,17" Style 10's , EAT Chipped :eek: Colorful Colorado