GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: interior light question for '95 e34

Default interior light question for '95 e34

I have recently gotten another e34. None of the interior lights come on no matter if I open the driver's or passenger door. I've checked the bulbs for the front light and two lights in the "sail" panels and they are good. I've looked at the fuse for the interior lights and it looks good as well. The map lights work if I switch them on, but none of the other interior lights including the glove box. Is it a switch issue, more of a wiring issue, or something else?

Check the upper map light unit. That pretty much distributes the interior lighting. Mine sits in a moist environment and it's all filled with corrosion and nothing worked until I cleaned it and sprayed it with Deoxit electrical contact cleaner (don't remember the name off hand). I haven't recleaned mine in a couple years and will most likely have to refresh it again. Let me know what happens.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

All interior lights are controlled by the ZKE = central chassis electronics = the general module GM and relay module RM under rear seat, and they are also fuses, have you checked for moisure under the GM + RM? Oxydation of the pins? Are the fuses under rear seat ok?
    I posted this in 2014, unfortunately the pics are gone, but detailed info No interior lights? - DIY repair if light switch http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1245379/
    Interior lights won't go off after car is parked , GM repair http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/769307/

In case your headlight switch does not work, see these pics http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/169009/

Turns out it was the switch itself. I can push down on the switch and the lights come on but go off when I release pressure. The switch doesn't appear broken but it's not locking in.

Got to take it apart and check things out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

What switch are you talking about? About what's on the door latch?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkCros View Post
    What switch are you talking about? About what's on the door latch?
    No the center switches by the sunroof panel.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

It may be necessary to replace the switch on the interior light control console, because the button does not lock the "on - off" position.