GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Non Bosch re-manufactured Alternator Must see inspection...

Default Non Bosch re-manufactured Alternator Must see inspection...

So I got a reman because I didn't want to wait on the shipping and return for core charge for a genuine Bosch reman unit. I will now go for the genuine Bosch which I should have in the first place.

This is right out the box. Missing bolt no biggie I can replace it with one from my old one. Noticed the stripped ones on the front that hold the bearing. I guess they didn't need to replace it because they were unable to remove it. SO I have to remove the cover to replace the bolt / stud thing.

This thing is covered in ground metal like it was stored under a grinder or something.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  101.7 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  75.6 KB

Here are some proficient soldering skills

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  51.8 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1698
Size:  100.4 KB

My old alternator for reference

Name:  My old one.jpg
Views: 3376
Size:  114.3 KB

Reman regulator on left vs my 160K old regulator.

Name:  Regulator.jpg
Views: 1607
Size:  59.9 KB

Slip ring is .012 off center, that should last a long time combined with the worn out brushes.

Name:  Slip ring.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  119.2 KB
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 03-23-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My Reman Bosch just arrived!

Name:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  71.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0364.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0363.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  71.1 KB

They are unable to send a replacement because they have none in stock.

Inside looks fine. Not sure what to do yet, emailed Bosch and waiting on a reply.

Name:  IMG_0367.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0365.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  41.8 KB

Now compare the rectifier connections to the other 'rebuilt' one.

Name:  IMG_0366.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  73.4 KB
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 03-27-2021 at 03:26 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I would use the plastic cover from the old one. In any case we can clearly see the differences between non-Bosch and Bosch reman alternators.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I would use the plastic cover from the old one. In any case we can clearly see the differences between non-Bosch and Bosch reman alternators.
    I can but waiting to hear from Bosch. With their remanufactured alternators you get road side assistance and towing up to 50 miles for 2 years.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Well, wow. Roadside assistance?
    Wish I knew that when we replaced the original Valeo Alt in our 07 550i in 10/19. Bought a used factory Valeo unit online and it arrived with a cracked rear cover (I didn't notice.) Installed it and it was overcharging like a beast. Removed it and noticed the cracked rear cover, removed it to discover a cracked regulator. Ouch. Seller gave us a price break but we needed the car in the mean time. Installed the old regulator on the replacement alt and it was fine for months. Should have just let it ride but put a new Valeo regulator in it and it was acting up. I don't remember how we ended up but my son and I put that alternator in 3 or 4 times. Not fun in a V8 E60. Not a bit.
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul

I have not had the charge light come on since a 5 hour road trip. I usually only drive local and getting to the point I forget about it. Bosch completely ignored all my email so eff them. Pay a lot of money and get no warranty etc kinda sux but it is what it is.

Not sure I want to replace it at this point unless I fix the body nicks and dents and spray it OR get some M-Pars or a whole other E34 with a 6 speed. If I get M-Pars I will have the motivation to fix cosmetics. If I fix cosmetics prolly have the motivation to buy some M-Pars lol.

As always long as you do all the maintenance they will go forever, went through this when I got it at 200K. 242 now so besides fluids and stuff not a lot to look at yet. Non preventative people think my stuff is going to blow up any minute, they just don't get it. Most non BMW people that see the odometer think I have a truck lol.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default Non preventative people think my stuff is going to blow up any minute...

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    As always long as you do all the maintenance they will go forever, went through this when I got it at 200K. 242 now so besides fluids and stuff not a lot to look at yet. Non preventative people think my stuff is going to blow up any minute, they just don't get it. Most non BMW people that see the odometer think I have a truck lol.
    A truer thing I've ever read on this forum ;-)

Only thing I'd add is that with a new car it's definitely the you don't know. Few are much chop these days, direct injection engines all foul their valves and are harder to fix or get parts for.

Our family e46 has 345k km on it. Main maintenance has been a complete replacement M-sport suspension, cooling system, five trans flushes after we got it at 300k km, plus wear items like door seals and window regs, PCV, brakes, tyres. Goes, stops and corners like near new, after 18 years. Just like an E34 does.

If you get a 6 speed you will never want anything else. Make the best of the two and keep what you need for spares. No need for the heavens when you're in utopia.

Best modern BMW chassis is an E32 short with V8/V10, next best is an e34. But an e34 fits through narrower gaps ;-) Though maybe our Need4Speed days are over now(!?)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!