GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Any ideas for opening trunk where button doesn't work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any ideas for opening trunk where button doesn't work?

I bought a running Virginia 525iA mostly for the (white) trunk lid for my '95 525i (5sp ASC). Boy was I mad when I found that an E34 trunk rusts out at the license lights even worse than an E28! Doesn't BMW learn from their past? It did live for a couple of years in Ohio and it did do annual duty shuttling kids to NE colleges. And they have started using this damn salt brine solution on our roads whenever the forecast indicates any winter precipitation. But, really?

Anyway, the trunk won't open. Yes, I have the key (drove the car home). I could cut a hole behind the rear seat for access. That's how much I value the parts car. Anyone have a less invasive suggestion for opening the trunk? Ready to do some overdue work on the E34 before it hits 300k, but the trunk rust is really pissing me off. I thought this car would last forever. Now my daily driver is an E28 535i stick. It's like I'm going backward as I age. (The E39 530i stick is stashed in the garage for when it's really needed.)

Thanks,

-Phil
    Last edited by shogun; 03-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Does the key turn in the trunk lock? My last E34 was a Michigan car and only had salt for 8 years. That somehow gathered around the trunk button and worked it's way in there and jammed it as if it was still locked. I sprayed around the button for a few days and would hit the button pretty hard to work more lube in and eventually it popped open. My trunk only had a little surface rust around the License lights.

That 8 years was the end all for poor Nika. When I went to swap tires back to summer ones I couldn't jack it at the jack points. Had to use 2x4s so it wouldn't crush completely. Got another E34 off Ebay and sold Nika making a $20 profit.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks. Yes, the button pushes fine and the key turns easily. Just nothing seems to be connected. I could take apart the good car to see if that helps me figure out what I might be able to do but the picture should give me that info, too. I might just have to cut a hole in the firewall. I'll see if I have time to try again this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
    I might just have to cut a hole in the firewall.
    There is already a large rectangular hole behind the armrest, supposedly "for a golf bag". The backing behind the armrest is held by a velcro.

deleted air conditioning

The metal piece for the ski bag is already perforated, easy to use a mallet and hammer it out, here pics from E38, same on E32 and E34 http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/408970

Yep, that's the plan!

Default Any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
    Yep, that's the plan!
    The trunk pass through is very small. Can't reach anything from it, and its all sealed. If you need a co-ordinated 4 year old to go in and access the emergency release. Don't have a 4 year old? A monkey? No need. E34 does not have an emergency trunk release, as per my first comment. So forget that.

If you locked some gangster in there one night, he'd likely be found dead in there sometime.

The mechanism is all behind the lock, I'd squirt penetrant into it as previously said and let is sit for a few days in the sun. It's also possible to saw a hole behind the number plate to gain access to the release rod.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!