GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Question on 5HP30 internals

Default Question on 5HP30 internals

Hi guys.

I run an E34 530 V8 and I want to upgrade the 5HP18 to a 5HP30. The 5HP30 can handle ALOT more torque and I want the car to be ready for the future if I put in another engine (don't know what).

I have:
    - the box and converter (will both be overhauled)
    - 5HP30 AGS
    - driveshaft (540i)
    - differential (540i)

And I will buy the shafts from the diff to the wheelhubs brand new.

Now I plan on rebuilding this 5HP30. This is an original 540i box so totally E34 ready. This rebuild is not a problem for me. While looking for parts I noticed 2 things:
    - some 5HP30 variants have "5 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 6" clutches. These are V8 variants
    - some 5HP30 variants have
    "5 - 3 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 6" clutches. These are the V12, Aston Martin and Bentley variants
    - there are 3 sets for clutch packs. 1 pack used on the V8 variants, 1 pack used on the more powerful engines and 1 unique pack used ONLY on M62 engines (probably very short production run)

Example:
    Clutch B uses 5 plates on the V8 variant with number
    Clutch B uses 6 plates on the V12 and power engines with number 1055271054

Questions:
    - The 6 plate variant should theoretically handle more torque if the clutch plate is identical in friction coefficient. Right?
    - The difference in part number, could that be because a certain clutch plate has a higher friction coefficient? If so, how can I find out which one that is?

I want to make the strongest possible variant. If needed I will buy another 5HP30 from a V12 and use the steels from that one to get those clutch sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank87;349820[COLOR=#333333
    ][/COLOR]... there are 3 sets for clutch packs. 1 pack used on the V8 variants, 1 pack used on the more powerful engines and 1 unique pack used ONLY on M62 engines (probably very short production run)

Example:
    Clutch B uses 5 plates on the V8 variant with number
    Clutch B uses 6 plates on the V12 and power engines with number 1055271054
    I imagine there are likely to be other parts that have been changed to meet with design criteria for each model- not just torque et al.

Is the clutch pack the only difference with the entire assy part for these models? You may need to trawl through the exploded parts list of each different trans part number to see. I would expect many other differences- particularly in the valve bodies, and more if an extra disc is present in the clutch pack.

Such as smoothness and delay time engaging gear, weight of the vehicle, warranty differences. If an extra disc in the pack spreads the friction load or increase the pressure on the other disc, or is it for longevity or ability to handle power? Sometimes just region/market differences result in different boxes being used.

Maybe someone else can be a better help, and give you something more specific/better hints

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Hi genphreak!

I know the following for a fact:
    - the valvebody and EGS should always stay together. The EGS is programmed to run with a specific valvebody setup. Regarding clutch material it is theoretically not a problem to swap out a valvebody and EGS on another set of box hardware
    - increasing clutch size does not change anything on pressure level. The pressure is still the same but the power the clutch can handle increases lineair by every extra clutch + steel added
    - many hardware parts are identical. Differences are in clutch material and valve body specifications

I am willing to risk putting this box 1 on 1 on my B30. With the EGS it will work if I use a 540i loom or if i convert my 5HP18 socket to a 5HP30 socket regarding pin layout. I simply want to know how much I can get out of this box using OEM ZF parts and no aftermarket engineering :-).