GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Maintenance Periodic flushing FTW

Default Maintenance Periodic flushing FTW

Flushed and changed coolant. Radiator hose connection marginalized so a given. All hoses good and been replaced.

Idler pulleys marginal and replaced.

Belts done.

Rear end dope changed, came out real dirty so means the clutches are wasted. Need another LSD clutch deal.

Trans fluid and filter change just cause I did. Nothing dirty at all.

Brake fluid flush all around. No reason, just 'cause I can.

Am I missing anything? Only 231 on this thing and still don't have a name. Cams better but still...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

id suggest power steering but having a bmw and having a power steering leak is pretty much the same thing, so its fine or about to be, again, and again
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I use the CHF 202 (?) now and the leak all but disappeared. The play remains but after time you get used to it long as you have decent tires. The play when the engine is off is significant but soon as you start it up the play makes you think things are fine... lol Used to have to refil every 2-3 weeks, with the 202 it changed to months. Waiting for the seal to shoot out onto the road one day. Too major of a project to replace the unit with another mystery used one and re-con is not in the picture. I can't even get a rear bumper for this old thing unless I drive 14 hours one way.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

play as in slack in the steering? most of the time the box can be adjusted to at least reduce it. get front wheels off the ground, loosen the jam nut on top of the box and tighten the center allen a little then snug the jam nut, try the steering with engine off and feel for tight spots lock to lock, tweak the allen till you find the tight spot then back off till its gone, that will be as good as it gets, it depends which part of the box is worn on how successful the adjustment will be, some it'll be like new others meh
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    play as in slack in the steering? most of the time the box can be adjusted to at least reduce it. get front wheels off the ground, loosen the jam nut on top of the box and tighten the center allen a little then snug the jam nut, try the steering with engine off and feel for tight spots lock to lock, tweak the allen till you find the tight spot then back off till its gone, that will be as good as it gets, it depends which part of the box is worn on how successful the adjustment will be, some it'll be like new others meh
    V-8 access is tight on that side of the world, brakes and stuff. Don't think you can get to it from the bottom either. Can you?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

no dice on bottom access, been a long time since i was under the hood on a v8 e34 and can't remember if its more then just a pain to get to

I did a lot of research on it and decided if the engine was getting replaced or the seal blew out completely I would look into it again. Since neither of that happened yet that project is on hold.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy