GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Speed shakes, Driveshaft???

Default High Speed shakes, Driveshaft???

let me start by saying i've replaced the upper thrust arms,lower control arms, Tie rods ,alignment,wheels balanced(brand new wheels and tires). i get a Good vibration from about 50mph to as fast as i want to go .The dash vibrates at about..the shop that did all the work thinks it might be the driveshaft ..The vibration get pretty bad the faster i go it starts shaking the seats and dash and the steering wheel,even though the streering wheel doesn't shake as bad as the dash and seats. Any helpful hints or advice would be helpful

I would still check the wheels and tires, especially if you are feeling it through the steering wheel.

The guibo/flex disk and center bearing can go bad. It is felt through the middle of the car and usually through the seats. Sometimes it feels like it is coming from the rear.
    So check the wheels and tires again for balance, assuming the shop installed the thrust arms correctly by tightening it under load. Go here http://128.242.141.111/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm to look for hunter GSP9700 wheel balancing machines in your area.
    Brandon J

Thanks alot brandon ,i have an appointment tomorrrow with a shop for wheel balancing
    .How will you know if they torqued the thrust arms under load ?? what would i do without this Board...

Rick L Guest

Default Do you have hub centric rings?

I noticed that you have two different sets of aftermarket rims. Both 17" and 18". Do you have hub centric rings for the rims? If not, that's the problem. Also, try this. Release the lugs and retighten the lugs in the usual star pattern but when you tighten each lugs, bring the lug you are about to tighten to the top and then tighten. This process helps the rim to sit closer to center of the hub if you don’t have hub centric rings. I have a Maserati with HRE wheels and cannot find any hub centric rings for this car so I used this method and it really works.

Rick L

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM
    Thanks alot brandon ,i have an appointment tomorrrow with a shop for wheel balancing
    .How will you know if they torqued the thrust arms under load ?? what would i do without this Board...

Rick L Guest

Default I don't think it could be driveshaft/flex disc...

I don't think the driveshaft/flex disc will cause the problem you described. You would only get the vibration if you are accelerating, NOT coasting. Make sure you have the correct hub centric rings. It needs to match both the car's hub and the rim (72.56-xx.xx).

robertg Guest

Default go to

wheel connection. i got my hub centric rings from there a long time ago. or you can order them from the place you bought your wheels from. the vibation you have is the hub centric rings.

we will find out tommorow . they place where i ordered the wheels gave me plastic rings they should be ok

Default You can narrow the problem down.....

to front/rear and driveline/wheel-tire by lifting the rear of the car, putting in gear and running to 50mph and checking for vibration. If gone...then front end problem. If present remove rear wheels and repeat. If still present likely driveline issue, if gone....wheel/tire balance/concentric problem.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM
    let me start by saying i've replaced the upper thrust arms,lower control arms, Tie rods ,alignment,wheels balanced(brand new wheels and tires). i get a Good vibration from about 50mph to as fast as i want to go .The dash vibrates at about..the shop that did all the work thinks it might be the driveshaft ..The vibration get pretty bad the faster i go it starts shaking the seats and dash and the steering wheel,even though the streering wheel doesn't shake as bad as the dash and seats. Any helpful hints or advice would be helpful
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default Sounds like a plan but the...

only thing I'd take issue with is you might mis-diagnose the driveshaft because it wouldn't be under load. You might miss the vibration depending on how pronounced it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    to front/rear and driveline/wheel-tire by lifting the rear of the car, putting in gear and running to 50mph and checking for vibration. If gone...then front end problem. If present remove rear wheels and repeat. If still present likely driveline issue, if gone....wheel/tire balance/concentric problem.

Paul Shovestul

Default I tried that and it only worked temporarily for me...

I had to do it a bunch of times before I finally got the rings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast