GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Geico may have gotten wise to a ticket or two I got...

TC535i Guest

Default Looks like Geico may have gotten wise to a ticket or two I got...

Just got my new bill, and they want $1200 every 6 months, to insure my $900 E30. Liability only.

Where are the insurance brokers in here again???

Default Ouch

I just got my 15.9 yo son on the '94 quattro and that's what I'm paying for 4 vehicles. Minimum insurance on the quattro, full coverage on the others, he's restricted.

WHAT are the tickets that you accumulated?

And unfortunately, where are you located....

TC535i Guest

San Diego, of course one of the most expensive places to insure a car in the US.

Couple speeding tickets, nothing over 100 tho. How far back do they check?

Default ****ing lizard

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I have a '94 540i and a '98 Volvo S70 GLT (Turbo I5) and together my wife and I cost $450 every 6 months.

Man, $1200 every 6 months... ****... that sounds like when I had my E39 and my wife didn't even have her drivers' license for NC yet... yikes. We paid just about $1200/6 months then!!!

Good luck w/ that
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Default well..in washington st. ...

...if I recall correctly, they can go back 3 years for standard moving violations, 7 years for serious violations like DUI, reckless, and similar.

After I got married, was changing up the insurance to better match what we need - learned something interesting.

My insurance co (regional company) saw a *big time* difference in a speeding violation that was more than 10 over. They almost bounced me because of one - one - ten over for some special coverage that we wanted.

Sooo...if you have a couple speeding ticks that are each a fair amount over the limit, that might explain the butt reaming...

bastards, eh!?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    San Diego, of course one of the most expensive places to insure a car in the US.

Couple speeding tickets, nothing over 100 tho. How far back do they check?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

NC is a screw for insurance....you just can't call GEICO or some national number you have to talk to someone who is NC enrolled or something. We were paying roughly 1100/6 months back in 94 when we married because of "hotrod's" driving record (every drive was Paris-Dakar when she was behind the wheel, hehe). How we're at 387/6 mo for a 93 E34 and a 95 Vol 850. One ticket and watch that double though. :P

TC, I'd shop around. I cut my rate by 1/3 when I bailed from GEICO and went to Nationwide. Look for those homeowner discounts, too.

I also have ultra high insurance, but that's a CA thing. Most of it is probably due to fraud.

So, I did a lot of research and found that your rates are determined on 3 primary factors and about 14 secondary factors. The primary factors are:

1) your car
    2) your record
    3) I forget the third, but it's NOT your zip code

Basically, it all adds up to your exposure to risk. Now here in CA, the first thing they ask you is :what's your zip. This is not allowed because it's not a primary factor, but they do it anyway. There's some CA proposition that prohibits it. I moved 3 blocks but into a new zip code and they increased my rates by about 30%. Not acceptable to me, and I called them on it. They played with the numbers and they equalized my bill by changing my miles driven annually to <7,500. The salesman told me that's a good number to play with because they don't care about it but it lowers your risk exposure.

So, start there and then stop getting caught...

Also, if you don't care about your $900 car, just go with some fly by night insurance company for your car, then add an umbrella policy on your homeowners to cover the liability if you have a wreck and someone sues you.

Dave
    93 525i

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Just got my new bill, and they want $1200 every 6 months, to insure my $900 E30. Liability only.

Where are the insurance brokers in here again???
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Default I'm in CA also and just renewed our

insurance for the year. 2 good drivers w/no points or tickets on record,
    2001 Dodge Ram wifes daily driver, 3 miles round trip.
    1988 Toyota 4wd my daily driver, 64 mile round trip.
    1995 BMW 525i Weekend driver

I always call and get multiple quotes from the major insurers and they can't beat the $1800 per year including homeowner insurance discount.

Daughter will be driving in 3 years, wonder what that will add?

Kurt
    95 525ia

1990 BMW 535i Full coverage
    1977 Corvette Full Coverage
    1989 Kawasaki KZ1000P PLPD (for now)

$130 a month for everything !
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast