GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Video 5hp19 D drum Spider Clutch bell play

Default Video 5hp19 D drum Spider Clutch bell play

Installed the new D drum no issue. Putting everything back together and have an enormous amount of play in the Spider Clutch Bell. It was like this when I took it apart but figured it was due to the blown out D Drum. Were looking at about an 1/8 of slop and never saw anything like this in any trans I ever worked on. Anyways I am not comfortable with this and would appreciate any feedback. Reviewed the schematics and nothing missing or out of place. Might be how it's supposed to be but I can't put this together without confirmation. Thanks all.

https://youtu.be/SPpqQe2qBlQ
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 04-12-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

OK, we know that if you provide pressure to the piston in the drum that it will compress the plates. But what you see in the video is not intuitive. Did you get anywhere with it ?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Talked to a ZF guy, he says as long as the splines line up should be good. As for the clutch pack to tighten clearances, I can't see how that works cause they are limited by the retaining rings. All together now with new regulator valve and ready for the car. Waiting on my son to pop it back in and see how it goes. Still I can't comprehend a design like this. I'll update soon as I have a clue what happens.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Talked to a ZF guy, he says as long as the splines line up should be good. As for the clutch pack to tighten clearances, I can't see how that works cause they are limited by the retaining rings. All together now with new regulator valve and ready for the car. Waiting on my son to pop it back in and see how it goes. Still I can't comprehend a design like this. I'll update soon as I have a clue what happens.
    Exactly the same on all 5HP18 I took apart. Also totally the same on the 5HP18 I rebuilt and fitted to my 3.0 V8.

Trans runs perfect.. for about 130.000 KM now.

I have the manual which includes the clutch pack clearances. But it is a bit late for that now. If something was not lined up, I doubt you could have fitted it all back together. From the video, it looks like the F clutch is just leaning towards the back because it is not supported yet.

Did you use the Sonnax kit for the pressure valve?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    I have the manual which includes the clutch pack clearances. But it is a bit late for that now. If something was not lined up, I doubt you could have fitted it all back together. From the video, it looks like the F clutch is just leaning towards the back because it is not supported yet.

Did you use the Sonnax kit for the pressure valve?
    Clutches are pretty much new, the trans was already rebuilt with an upgraded D drum that broke so no worries about clearances. The spider bell had the same amount of play when it was completed as in the video.
    We used the transgo kit, less than $35.00 these days. Just drop it in.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 04-23-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy