GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How do I get a good valuation for insurance claim?

Default How do I get a good valuation for insurance claim?

I was recently in an accident in my '90 535i 5-sp, 217k miles but in "better than good" condition. Other driver was at fault, has Allstate. I do not carry collision on my car. Damage estimate is $2100 to rear door & rear quarter panel. Allstate values the car at $1600 (via photos from their mobile app, they have not seen the car in person) so they say it's a total loss, and after taxes, title, and salvage value they offered to write me a check for $1200 and I keep the car. I think I'd have a hard time replacing this car for $1600.

Any advice on how I can justify a higher value for the car, or increase the settlement in any other way? I love the car; it's been a great daily driver for 20 years so I'll definitely be keeping it either way.
    Dave Rutkowski
    '08 M3 6sp
    '90 535i 5sp
    '81 635CSi dogleg (track car)

From what I remember you need print out similar cars as yours as examples for what they are selling for in the same condition as yours. Ebay, Craigslist, auto trader, BMW forums etc are all good sources.

You will also want to document all maintenance and updates that has been done over the past (forever) and date them within the last year to year and a half. This will make it appear that your car is superior and better maintained to the others out there. Pictures of your clean engine bay, mint interior, fully illuminated dash etc. You will have to fight them on this because they are used to low balling outgoing payments.

You will also want to mention that this is your daily driver and there is no way you would be able to replace it with anything close for $1200.

I'm sure I am forgetting a lot but this is what pops into my head at the moment.

Good luck and report back your success story!

Jeff

Edit: PS, don't let them take ownership of the car or you will get a salvage title. When similar happened to me it just slid through the system and the title stayed in my name.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 02-17-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Makes sense. Any ideas for websites that have any significant numbers of e34s? They're getting harder to find. I checked BAT already.
    Dave Rutkowski
    '08 M3 6sp
    '90 535i 5sp
    '81 635CSi dogleg (track car)

I would start with a general web search and go from there:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=e34+for+sale&t=ffnt&ia=web
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy