Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Anti-Lock ABS Brakes Hydraulic Pump 4 Channel - rebuildable?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    So.Calif ( L.A. Beach Area)
    Posts
    487

    Default Anti-Lock ABS Brakes Hydraulic Pump 4 Channel - rebuildable?

    replaced the rear upper shock mounts and no more rattling noise.
    I bled my brakes and the right rear port of the ABS block is clogged. ( has to be some dirt or rust as fluid was filty...my own fault)
    can I rebuild it, if so who has the kit?
    Has anyone done this?
    or do I buy a used one off ebay?

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E32-E34...453?rmvSB=true
    Last edited by califblue; 02-06-2018 at 12:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,602

    Default

    How do you know the port is blocked?

    That Ebay one is ugly, especially since the ports are open. You have any local pullapart.com around?
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    So.Calif ( L.A. Beach Area)
    Posts
    487

    Default

    it will not bleed...all the others bleed thru.
    even removed the line and blew air from where it connects to the bleed screw on the back of the caliper...
    is there a way to cycle the ports?

    yes looked for pick your part ...none in stock will continue to look

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    So.Calif ( L.A. Beach Area)
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I just found this...
    You need to cycle the abs if air gets into the abs system. It is done through the diagnostic connector with the BMW service tester. The abs pump cycles a little everytime you start the car, so if you bleed it a few times the air will probably eventually clear out, but the proper procedure is to initiate a special bleed routine through the diagnostic connector. A BMW dealer or a BMW only shop should be able to do it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by califblue View Post
    it will not bleed...all the others bleed thru.
    even removed the line and blew air from where it connects to the bleed screw on the back of the caliper...
    is there a way to cycle the ports?

    yes looked for pick your part ...none in stock will continue to look
    I'm not really following you. You blew air through the brake line from the bleeder (at the wheel) through to the beginning of the line at the ABS unit?
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by califblue View Post
    I just found this...
    You need to cycle the abs if air gets into the abs system. It is done through the diagnostic connector with the BMW service tester. The abs pump cycles a little everytime you start the car, so if you bleed it a few times the air will probably eventually clear out, but the proper procedure is to initiate a special bleed routine through the diagnostic connector. A BMW dealer or a BMW only shop should be able to do it.
    Did you get air into the system?
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    So.Calif ( L.A. Beach Area)
    Posts
    487

    Default

    no I disconnected the line at the ABS and blew through the line to the rear when it did not bleed. now I have no right rear break...doesn't pull when applying brakes
    Last edited by califblue; 02-06-2018 at 04:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by califblue View Post
    no I disconnected the line at the ABS and blew through the line to the rear when it did not bleed. now I have no right rear break...doesn't pull when applying brakes
    Okay, there is a way to cycle the abs but I don't remember how. When I bled my brakes with the pressure cap it bled all four no issue, same when I mechanically bled them. Look into cycling the ABS unit so you can bleed that rear brake, I can't right now. I doubt the unit is bad, at least lets try to make it work before replacing it.
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    So.Calif ( L.A. Beach Area)
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I agree...will try cycling by turning on and off the key..correct?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by califblue View Post
    I agree...will try cycling by turning on and off the key..correct?
    I don't remember and am unable to look it up right now. I need 2 or 3 hours before I can.
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-lock light on
    By Spasso in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 06:11 PM
  2. Anti lock light on
    By Matt in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 06:09 PM
  3. Anti lock
    By Unregistered in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
  4. Anti-lock brakes locking up
    By mjfeeney4 in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 06:01 PM
  5. Anti-lock light on, '94 540iA
    By Matt in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •