GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: My doors make a creaking sound when i hit a bump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My doors make a creaking sound when i hit a bump

My doors make a creaking sound when i hit a bump, like they are slightly moving. it doesnt seem to come from the interior panels, but the doors themselves. The car didnt have any major collisions. Is it possible they need to be tighten or something like that?

E34 525i '88

Take the interior panel off and check inside. I was getting a slight creaking sound when the window went up The lube in the tracks was like a hardened plastic. Cleaned the tracks and installed new sliders and lube. Silent now.

Check your door insulation, it could possible make noise if the door is moving. Check for wear on the paint where the insulation meets, should give you an idea if it's moving around.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hi Regal, sorry i didnt reply before. I did what you said in the last bit, and i cant see any wear on the paint. But the noise comes from several doors, and it sounds "big". not like a little thing creaking, but the whole door.

Asuming its the doors that move, anyone knows how to tighten them? Just go at them with a socket and tighten it ... or is there any special way to do it?

E34 525i '88

There is not much to tighten, but read the instructions in the workshop manual how to remove and install doors. Also check if the door strikerh is lose and has to be adjusted,
    under body, section 41-51/2 https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/741en/index.htm
    but you can replace the bearing sleeves for door hinges, section 41-51/1
    door striker section 51-27/7

good read ... i will check those bearing sleeves. will see if i can make it move and see some play in there. thx shogun.

E34 525i '88

possible the noise is the rubber door seals rubbing against the body, sometimes during a detail a shiny product gets wiped on them and they don't smoothly slip on the paint and this creeks, many years bmw has a door seal lube that may not have a modern equivalent, to test for this you can dust the seals with chalk or talc to make them slip
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

On the German E32 forum there is a retired engineer from BMW which was in charge in the production line for the E32 in Germany, we recently discussed about the purpose of a kind of tape on the chrome above the doors, his comment:
    Das Band war Serie. Aber nicht ganz vom Start weg, es müßte so um 89 eingesetzt haben. Bei Frost konnte die kaschierte Tür Dichtlippe an der Zierleiste festfrieren... und abreissen. Das Band hat das verhindert.
    Es gibt auch noch den zweiten Grund: die Dichtlippe am Fensterrahmen ist kaschiert, beflockt. Auf dem nackten Alu reibt sich diese Beflockung relativ schnell ab und es kommt dann zu Quietschgeräuschen Gummi-Alu. Das Band verhindert den Abrieb.
    Der dritte Grund ist rein optischer Natur. Stimmt die Einstellung der Türen nicht und es gibt einen Höhenversatz... oder die Türdichtungen schrumpfen mit Versatz... dann sichert das schwarze Band einen optischen Fortgang ohne Stufe. Es schönt die Optik an der B-Säule.
    translated:
    The seal/tape was a standard. But not quite from the start, it should have started in production around 89. During cold temperatures/ frost, the laminated door sealing lip could be frozen on the trim strip ... and torn off. The tape has prevented this.
    There is also the second reason: the sealing lip on the window frame is laminated, flocked. On the naked aluminum rubs this flock relatively quickly and then comes to squeak noises rubber-aluminum. The tape prevents abrasion.
    The third reason is purely optical. If the adjustment of the doors is not right and there is a height offset ... or the door seals shrink with offset ... then the black tape ensures an optical progress without stage. It looks beautiful on the B-pillar.
    Here pics of the tape , see large pic in post 15 http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/klebe...te-227871.html

Winfred, thats a good idea and seems easy to try. i will get some talk and try on one of the noisy doors.

As for that tape to avoid door seal lip getting frozen, our winters here barely make it down to 0c, so i dont think its an issue. I will check that nonetheless, even if its for aesthetics it may be useful

E34 525i '88