GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to replace oil pan gasket? plz help!!!

Default How to replace oil pan gasket? plz help!!!

Its for 1990 535I with an M30 3.5l engine

I need to replace my oil pan gasket, i went to the mechanic shop the guy said he cant do it, u have to lift all the engine up or take the whole front out lol, because the oil pump is in the oil pan. Is that true?. I can do the job my self but im not sure if u have to do all these things. Can i do it in my garage or i need a car lift? And the bolts on drivers side are pretty hard to get too.

look up the dimensions ont the realoem site to see what is the oil pumps

Some beatup BMW with 20" Nipplewheels

Default What is your mechanical aptitude?

your mechanic is correct about the difficulty of getting at the oil pan b/c of the shape and oil pump being in the way.

If you are at all skeptical about your own abilities, I would leave this up to a mechanic....at least until you build up ability/experience/knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by oleh

I need to replace my oil pan gasket, i went to the mechanic shop the guy said he cant do it, u have to lift all the engine up or take the whole front out lol, because the oil pump is in the oil pan. Is that true?. I can do the job my self but im not sure if u have to do all these things. Can i do it in my garage or i need a car lift? And the bolts on drivers side are pretty hard to get too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    your mechanic is correct about the difficulty of getting at the oil pan b/c of the shape and oil pump being in the way.

If you are at all skeptical about your own abilities, I would leave this up to a mechanic....at least until you build up ability/experience/knowledge.

How difficult is it what do you have to do? and remove?

Default You have to get the car up on stands....

Then you have to jack or cherry pick the engine up enough to clear the subframe crossmembers in order to pull the pan out the front. Most of the time you need to remove the pump pickup while the pan is half hanging off so that you can drop it out of the way and then pull it all out together.

Thas is the general idea.

How difficult is it what do you have to do? and remove?

Small hands would help when dropping that pickup while the pan is in the way. The motor doesn't have to go up too high, loosen the coolant reservoir & pull away from the firewall for an idea of the clearance needed.
    Also, avoid the damn cork gasket. Napa has a better gasket available, although, I guess the cork gasket on my 535 lasted 15 years before a corner gave.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    Small hands would help when dropping that pickup while the pan is in the way. The motor doesn't have to go up too high, loosen the coolant reservoir & pull away from the firewall for an idea of the clearance needed.
    Also, avoid the damn cork gasket. Napa has a better gasket available, although, I guess the cork gasket on my 535 lasted 15 years before a corner gave.
    thats the same problem i have, the corner gave on my oil pan gasket. i can see the cork gasket ripped out on the passengers side on the front.

Default You want the Beck Arnley gasket

You can get it thru NAPA. Waaaaay better than the stock cork gasket.

Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

put 2x4s under the mount pads when the engine is raised up to prevent mitten fingers vs gloves.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I put up a procedure on my website that takes you through the task - perhaps you can find it helpful. You will need jack stands...

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerdcib/e34a/id5.html

Look at the bottom of the page.

deleted air conditioning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast