GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worlds most expensive trim? Also props to BMA.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default worlds most expensive trim? Also props to BMA.

Finally doing a windshield replacement.

First off, Insurance is covering all costs and waiving the deductible, which, as you'll see, is no small feat (they'll be reimbursing me for the parts I needed to order on my own). My expectations of a ~$400 job ballooned to over $1000 once I factored in the moldings/trim and clips that are wise to have in case the 27 year old ones are toast. So, as a country, Canada does fairly well, except if you want trim bits for old bimmers. Thats when you call BMA and speak to Patrick, who will still return a phone call and deal with special order stuff, even though their business seems to have grown significantly since I first dealt with them in ~2003. BMA will have all the trim bits to me way faster than dealers in Canada, which would have me waiting 3 weeks for the slow boat from Germany.....

Check out the damage on this stuff. That's $504 for pieces of plastic and 16 trim clips, more than most complete windshield jobs.

From BMA,
    Clamp 16 51318177850 - $0.75 each
    DECORATIVE FRAME LEFT 1 51318117457 - $216.00 - Special Order
    DECORATIVE FRAME RGHT 1 51318117458 - $216.00 - Special order
    Cup 2 51311908645 - $29.90 each -Special order

Anyhow, thought I'd share.

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 06-28-2017 at 07:10 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Prices for these special items are going up, BUT, they are still available for an almost 30 year old car, compared to other makers, where the service for old cars is almost not existing.
    But you did right to order that all, the old moulding surrounding the windshield sealing glass to the body is usually damaged when the windshield is removed.

Shogun, thanks for all your input over the years. Invaluable. I don't get here as much as I used to, but appreciate all the knowledge.

Rolled over 635,000 km the other day. New suspension on it's way from Patrick at BMA so need to push it another 200,000 km!

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Finally doing a windshield replacement.

First off, Insurance is covering all costs and waiving the deductible, which, as you'll see, is no small feat (they'll be reimbursing me for the parts I needed to order on my own). My expectations of a ~$400 job ballooned to over $1000 once I factored in the moldings/trim and clips that are wise to have in case the 27 year old ones are toast. So, as a country, Canada does fairly well, except if you want trim bits for old bimmers. Thats when you call BMA and speak to Patrick, who will still return a phone call and deal with special order stuff, even though their business seems to have grown significantly since I first dealt with them in ~2003. BMA will have all the trim bits to me way faster than dealers in Canada, which would have me waiting 3 weeks for the slow boat from Germany.....

Check out the damage on this stuff. That's $504 for pieces of plastic and 16 trim clips, more than most complete windshield jobs.

From BMA,
    Clamp 16 51318177850 - $0.75 each
    DECORATIVE FRAME LEFT 1 51318117457 - $216.00 - Special Order
    DECORATIVE FRAME RGHT 1 51318117458 - $216.00 - Special order
    Cup 2 51311908645 - $29.90 each -Special order

Anyhow, thought I'd share.

Dave M
    Could you not have ordered from a US based dealership? I recently had a windshield replaced too and while insurance did pay for 100% trim included I seem to recall checking with my local dealership here in NH and found the trim was around $80 a side.. or even less I seem to think I found it for $45 but maybe a dream...

So I had an issue with the first install. They came to my home and did it in the parking space.

First problem was the trim was loose . I swapped out their new trim for the old piece which I thought snapped on ok but that flew off on the Highway. So I had them come back and refit the new one I had. They glued it on with the silicon adhesive so it was on good.

Second problem was when it rained a leak appeared along the driver A Pillar. I had them come back again and they said they blobbed in more silicon but next rain it leaked again.

So losing confidence in this installer I waited for a solution. It came when I accidentally while changing wiper blades left the arm upright without the old blade on and pulled out the hood. The arm slammed onto the glass breaking it good.

So I called my Insurance and arranged for a new windshield. This time I used the local BMW dealerships installer.

I did have a wind noise issue with the trim this time though it stayed on fine . This installer said to come back and he applied a bead of silicon along the top where there was a gap between the trim and body .

I wondered if I had gotten the wrong glass at first the wind noise was so high.

Blue sunscreen strip or Green on the original? I told them Blue.
    Last edited by Jehu; 06-29-2017 at 01:45 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Original for mine was green. All the installers I contacted would not do it with original trim. The one that said they would arrived and cut the interior pillars while cutting out the glass. By time I got to the car he already had the glass installed on a very thick bead of butyl I asked about the trim and clips, he had no idea what I was talking about and showed me a roll of cheap vinyl trim, I told him that was not what I ordered. He put a piece of trim up to show me... He said it wont look "that" bad. I had no choice at that point, absolutely hated it. After that point I could never crack the windows open if it rained, would pour right in. Might be different here in TN but I don't need a windshield on either car but part of the trim is lifted on one side. Might get some good glue from the body shop and hope it sticks.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Original for mine was green. All the installers I contacted would not do it with original trim. The one that said they would arrived and cut the interior pillars while cutting out the glass. By time I got to the car he already had the glass installed on a very thick bead of butyl I asked about the trim and clips, he had no idea what I was talking about and showed me a roll of cheap vinyl trim, I told him that was not what I ordered. He put a piece of trim up to show me... He said it wont look "that" bad. I had no choice at that point, absolutely hated it. After that point I could never crack the windows open if it rained, would pour right in. Might be different here in TN but I don't need a windshield on either car but part of the trim is lifted on one side. Might get some good glue from the body shop and hope it sticks.
    Two things, in priority:

1) You don't need a windshield in TN? How about MI?

2) Thats why I'm getting original trim

Thanks Regal

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Hmm, lot of issues it seems. I may print this out and give it to the glass folks, thanks for the advanced warning(s)! I tried all my sources and it seems the price on the two pieces of trim are fixed ~$200 a side. I'd be choked but the mangy ins. biches are pickin up the tab

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Hmm, lot of issues it seems. I may print this out and give it to the glass folks, thanks for the advanced warning(s)! I tried all my sources and it seems the price on the two pieces of trim are fixed ~$200 a side. I'd be choked but the mangy ins. biches are pickin up the tab

Dave
    The glass people don't care much, just want a quick buck even if insurance covers it. At least that is my experience back in MI. I did look up the trim parts for a while because this subject interests me. Looks like 200 a side is the best I can find.

Did you try to contact a BMW dealership and ask who does their install? That would be the way I believe to approach this situation, someone knowledgeable with the facts vs some nobody glass fly by night operator.

I was soo disappointed with my replacement that I stopped driving the car much after that. The cut up interior pillars, the excessive distance the windshield was from original position, the cheap plastic trim, not being able to open the windows if it's humid... To some people it might be no big deal, but then again I'm not driving a high mile Honda. To me it was like someone cut off my cars fingers.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Okay, I have access to an E34 with the windshield trim intact. Is it possible to remove and re-use or is it a one shot deal. Have not had a chance to look into this but it can be bought dirt cheap. I think I remember it was a one time deal on installation but as I said I have not been able to check into it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Okay, I have access to an E34 with the windshield trim intact. Is it possible to remove and re-use or is it a one shot deal. Have not had a chance to look into this but it can be bought dirt cheap. I think I remember it was a one time deal on installation but as I said I have not been able to check into it.
    They may be re-used, but could break on removal. Since my insurance is paying the whole thing, no deductible, I sourced it from BMA as I was also ordering shocks/struts and mounts all around. Thanks for looking it Jeff, it s much appreciated. The link with the low priced trim is interesting, I've never seen it that cheap.

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast