GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Weird Passenger Mirror - 1995 540I 6-speed

Default Weird Passenger Mirror - 1995 540I 6-speed

When I start the car, the passenger mirror is tilted up. I press the 'Memory' button at the left-hand side of the driver's seat and the mirror goes back to its proper position. When I stop the car, the mirror tilts back up. Any one had this problem? Is the mirror possessed?

Tom

Check all the plugs going into the seat and mirror memory module under the seat, maybe wires are touching. In case one of the plugs is broken, not all are available anymore, here is how you can do, I made a write up with p/n's and what is available and how to make them fit
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1236746/
    I have read about some defective control units where the function suddenly worked in reverse.
    Training manual SMM http://www.e38.org/e32/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf

The car sat in the garage overnight and when I went out this morning, ever once in a while would hear the passenger 'up-down' motor engage. Looking at the wiring diagram, I see that the 'mirror control module' is fed by fuse 42 from the 'rear power distribution box'. Pulling the fuse stopped the mirror motor, but also stops any seat adjustment. It looks like I may have a bad 'memory mirror control switch' - the switch that is located on the top of driver's inside door handle. Anyone ever have this problem?

I once had the mirror switch in the door disassembled and cleaned it. You must be very careful when opening it up, there are springs inside.
    Can only find E28 power mirror switch disassembling at the moment http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=58025

Perhaps the 'default' position just needs to be reset. If it can be adjusted manually to a more normal position before pressing the memory button, it might sort it out- but perhaps you tried this? If it was in a high position (ie got pushed by someone or something), and then the next person driving it adjusted it down to suit them and then memorised that position using the seat memory button... no doubt way off, but jic.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

They are still weird. I replaced the mirror switch - the one on the drivers side door handle and that seemed to solve the problem. Then, the next day I'm in the garage and I hear one mirror motor running. It seemed that when I opened the driver door or even touched the car the mirror motor started running. It only runs to move the mirror up - when it is all the way up, the motor will continue to run, then stop then run again a few minutes later, but only the mirror that the door handle switch is switched to is running. I don't know if its a grounding problem or the memory unit has gone haywire. I removed fuse #42 in the rear distribution box (located under the rear seat on the drivers side) so power to the mirror motors is off. Unfortunately, fuse #42 also shuts off power to the driver seat. Anyone else had this problem?

And yes, I tried resetting the desired mirror/drivers seat position with the memory button - no change.

Maybe next is to check for broken wires from the A-pillar into the door, In the big rubber sleeve that the bottom between A-pillar and door there are a lot of wires, usually they first break in the driver door, as that is used mostly.
    Repair instructions with pics, German language text, from rear door http://bmwe32.pagaduan.org/Kabelbruc...nks_hinten.htm
    this damage is inside the door, often they break in the rubber between pillar and door. The rubber is held with screws, remove them and pull the rubber back, how to is on the workshop manual https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/

Or the problem is the seat and mirror control module.
    I have now organized a defective one and sent it to an E34 owner, he is a German Meister in Radio + TV repairs and will have a look at it to study if it can be repaired. That unit had the problem that all went reverse. Unfortunately the parcel arrived there with damaged housing of the module, looks like postal services handled it a bit rough.
    Last edited by shogun; 09-25-2017 at 07:43 AM.