GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Here Ever Replacded an Ebtire Brake Line on an E34?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Glad it wasn't the engine. Have you checked the oil pump bolts?
    Yes.

Recently had to have the lower oil pan replaced when a shop doing an oil change stripped the threads.

They were all tightend up again.

I have developed another issue though.

Not sure but I think a CV Joint on the power wheel is weak.

when changing speeds I get a real loud "BANG" like two unequally rotating parts catching each other...

Really seriously loud when reversing...

put it in reverse, let out the clutch and when I begin accelerating there is a horribly loud BANG.

Going into a shop tomorrow to put it on a lift.
    Going to drain and fill the transmission and talk about my differential input seal leak.

Saturday I found a big puddle of fluid under it and pulled out to examine it... I looked under the car and saw fluid dripping ,streaming out.

Had enough time to get it over to a valvoline Instant Oil change shop where they topped it off and packed the input seal with grese which has kept it from leaking.

may end up swapping the diff which dropped out of my other 540 over...

that would probably entail having that car towed to this shop and we could set about dismantling it and letting the body go for scrap.. RIP # WBAHE5328SGAA64425
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Swapping out a diff and replacing axles isn't that big a deal.
    You might want to put it up on a lift in Neutral and rotate things to see if your drive shaft and U joints are all happy.
    Is this the large case LSD with 8 bolt side plates? If your input bearing died, you could get a bit of play.
    On an e30 we had the axle bolts fall out and the bang was heard when just one was left in and the axle shifted way off center.
    It was a cheap fix as we had spare bolts and the car was just two blocks from home.

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

Sounds like your input bearing is shot causing both the leak and the bang noise. Are both the ratios 2:93?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Sp today the shop was swamped so I wasn't going to be able to get in.

I decided to go have transmission fluid replaced and on the way the left outer CV join blew apart when I was starting off from a Red light.

I had it towed to that shop and up on the lift we saw and heard that left outer CV joint was wrecked.

The shop guy thinks my leak will remain contained by the grease packing.

I am not liking that idea a ton but we'll see.

The thought you both raised about the input bearing being faulty sounds like it may have merit here becaseu I had also been hearing soemthing that sounds like the d riveshaft shifting and moving during starts and s tops like from changing intertia and its own weight making it slip a bit .

This may just me a misinterpretation and the shop should help evaluate that matter better.

I may end up bringing the other 540 over and have them tear it apart and use that diff which I resealed a few years ago an which should be fine.

take all the good stuff and let that rusty shell go for scrap. ( believe me I hate that thought but its really pretty vad off; holes on the floorboards, etc..)

So this episode I hope will resolve tomorrow with the new axle and I'll get back to enjoying these nice new 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the M System wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Sp today the shop was swamped so I wasn't going to be able to get in.

I decided to go have transmission fluid replaced and on the way the left outer CV join blew apart when I was starting off from a Red light.

I had it towed to that shop and up on the lift we saw and heard that left outer CV joint was wrecked.

The shop guy thinks my leak will remain contained by the grease packing.

I am not liking that idea a ton but we'll see.

The thought you both raised about the input bearing being faulty sounds like it may have merit here becaseu I had also been hearing soemthing that sounds like the d riveshaft shifting and moving during starts and s tops like from changing intertia and its own weight making it slip a bit .

This may just me a misinterpretation and the shop should help evaluate that matter better.

I may end up bringing the other 540 over and have them tear it apart and use that diff which I resealed a few years ago an which should be fine.

take all the good stuff and let that rusty shell go for scrap. ( believe me I hate that thought but its really pretty vad off; holes on the floorboards, etc..)

So this episode I hope will resolve tomorrow with the new axle and I'll get back to enjoying these nice new 235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the M System wheels.
    You need pictures!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You need pictures!
    Well they replaced the axel and she is as tight as new.

amazing I drove as long as I did with two busted transmission mounts and a ready to fail axle CV.

Be keeping an eye out for the diff leak but there is no play in it so the bearing seems OK.

lukcy I guess.

I'll snap some pics when I get it in next time for that trans fluid replacement ..

also the input valve on the AC fill line is leaking so have to get that swapped out.

Bought one years ago and never needed it.. fun times looking through maybe eight years of boxed up crap to find that little thing.

Also if anyone reads this and needs all the O rings and the Three Expansion valve fastening bolts I spent $60 at the dealership for them before we discovered the valve after they added MORE dye.

I'll ship them at a reasonable cost.

didn't see any and was told there had been dye added last year this time the input pipe was covered in it.

( believe me I hate that thought but its really pretty vad off; holes on the floorboards, etc..)
    wheels.
    IF your going to scrap it I can get a list together and see if you can sell me what you have, what you think?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

IF your going to scrap it I can get a list together and see if you can sell me what you have, what you think?
    in principle ok .

The details of how I actually eventually get it where I can dismatle it remain to be seen.

I had it towed to a body shop .

Its on a fellow's property in his field.

While he has a ramp type lift he wasn't enthusiastic about me using it to take the car apart last i asked.

Just too busy I guess.

I asked the shop where I've been taking my current 540 for work and he too said he was just so swamped with both regular work and personal projects he couldn't see a time in the immediate future he'd have time for me to tow it in , put it up on the lift and tear it down. I asked him just this week about that so I have not convenient , economical place to get under it and pull things..

The field as well as obviously just being grassy meadow harbors Lyme Disease infected Ticks. the shop owner caught Lyme disease walking between his house and the shop through the big meadow so laying in the grass and putting the car on jack stands in dirt just doesn't sound terribly appealing.

I'll keep asking around and see what I can do.

in principle ok .

The details of how I actually eventually get it where I can dismatle it remain to be seen.

I had it towed to a body shop .

Its on a fellow's property in his field.

While he has a ramp type lift he wasn't enthusiastic about me using it to take the car apart last i asked.

Just too busy I guess.

I asked the shop where I've been taking my current 540 for work and he too said he was just so swamped with both regular work and personal projects he couldn't see a time in the immediate future he'd have time for me to tow it in , put it up on the lift and tear it down. I asked him just this week about that so I have not convenient , economical place to get under it and pull things..

The field as well as obviously just being grassy meadow harbors Lyme Disease infected Ticks. the shop owner caught Lyme disease walking between his house and the shop through the big meadow so laying in the grass and putting the car on jack stands in dirt just doesn't sound terribly appealing.

I'll keep asking around and see what I can do.
    I can limit it to easy to access grab pieces? No need for anyone to get sick just figured I could donate before it is ground to dust. Exterior pieces is fine. Couple interior, forget the big heavy items.... Speaking of (lol) how are both bumpers?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Need passenger front door exterior molding, front grill and chrome things (nose piece?) Wood trim inside decent? (don't need but never know) Hood/trunk shocks, door hinge brake things... Anything else easy to grab will be welcomed. Hate to see the little knickknacks ground up. Computers in the box? I might need one of those too.

We have a local pull a part place and as soon as an e34 comes in it is stripped of the cheap stuff and the rest is rendered useless IE valve covers gone on a good engine. Wood trim missing on good door panels. Pull the trans/engine and bust the mounting ears off whats left. It is really a shame how that place works.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12