GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Camshaft oil spray bar Missing Nut Deal

Default Camshaft oil spray bar Missing Nut Deal

Check this out. I couldn't tighten or loosen the stud, was afraid of busting it off. Saw this last time but had no time to really investigate it. Someone was in here before me, might have locktighted it and forgot to run it down? No clue but there was no nut at all so I made a spacer deal and locktighted it, should be just fine except clearance issues installing the valve cover back on. Oh and I dropped the first nut and it went down the oil hole into the abyss like it knew where to go. I'll try the magnet on a stick thing...

Name:  IMG_2229.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2230.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2231.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  51.1 KB
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well that was a big fail, nothing for the acorn nuts to tighten the cover. Used a LOT of heat and got the stud out, along with all the previously stripped threads etc.

Pulled the spray bar and had to pull the cam main and heli coiled it. when all done only had 3.25 turns with the stud so I had to grind the stud shorter by about 1/8 inch. This is hack mechanics but I don't know of another fast fix for this stuff. There also is not a full fix. Someone jacked the car up and leaves it like this and goes away. Apparently not total destructive since the engine still lives but just wrong. So the main spray bar has no cap... on the initial pressure place. I should just bite it and buy the cam adjustment tools. Then buy a 540 and adjust those also after I have practice LOL..
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 04-25-2017 at 03:47 AM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ah indeed, some pro stud work, that!

I reckon they need to sack the 'Head of bastardian engineering' at Munich and begin a company-wide initiative to improve the company and its products significantly above the competition.

All they need do is make the QA managers co-own a project that reviews every design both in production and in servicing, so they can begin to design-out features like engines with black-holes that attract nuts and other components inc. dropped tools, not to mention reviewing the design of any component that is fastened in hard-to remove locations, with hard to reach fasteners... etc.

Not to mention reviewing the gratuitous use of plastic, esp. where aluminium or something else would last better- AND dodgy connectors, pipe-seals... <rant continues>

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!