Thread: Strut replacement Raised the suspension - uh oh

Default Strut replacement Raised the suspension - uh oh

OK so I purchased used front strut/hub complete assemblies from an auto recycler. $75 each with Bilsteins (not sure of which model inserts) so potentially a good deal and upgrade from the totally shot originals (160K miles!). Much stiffer, of course - but the suspension is now raised so that the wheel well lip is almost 4 1/2 inches above the top of the tire! The camber is of course all tucked-in - yikes! Not exactly what I was after... So does anyone have an idea what might have happened or what to do about it? Should I change to lowering springs, or just bail out and buy some new strut inserts and install them in the former strut/hub assemblies (which I still have) and replace these used units? I wasn't looking to lower the suspension, just normal height would be fine - but certainly didn't expect these to lift the car. Thanks in advance for your ideas. 1995 525i, 160K miles, manual trans, black with gray interior.

Are the struts stuck at full extension? Is there any travel up and down? I have had a lot of experience with bulsteins and they just suck for me. Other than that it sounds like the springs in your new replacements are for a heavier vehicle... unless those bulsteins are stuck.

If it's not the struts you can swap the springs from your original to the new ones and get your ride height back to normal.
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I agree on getting new springs for your 525i. Check out eibach and m-tech springs. I have h&r springs plus bilstein on my car, and I must say that this setup is a tad stiff. Went to this route so that the suspension can handle road imperfections much better.

It seems like the struts are stuck at full or near-full extension - or maybe they are just really stiff. Pretty weird. There is little or no movement when pushing down on the car, that's for sure. I think I will just bite the bullet and order new strut inserts and rear shocks. Took me a while to respond, busy out of town, etc. but thanks for the responses!

Bilsteins... I had one stick like you describe. I got some cheap chinese ones from Ebay and actually am very happy with them.

No affiliation but these are what I grabbed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331071417703...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cant beat 2 of them for 60 bux.

Quote Originally Posted by keve34 View Post
    It seems like the struts are stuck at full or near-full extension - or maybe they are just really stiff. Pretty weird. There is little or no movement when pushing down on the car, that's for sure. I think I will just bite the bullet and order new strut inserts and rear shocks. Took me a while to respond, busy out of town, etc. but thanks for the responses!
    95 E34 530I V2.17
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy