GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear KED taillights - wiring info needed please

Default Rear KED taillights - wiring info needed please

I've bought a set of smoked LED taillights for my '90 E34 and they are finally due to arrive tomorrow (yippee)....

My question is that on my stock lights, the turn signal is at the top but on the new ones the turn signal is in the middle (in-line with the reverse lamp).
    Am I going to have to change the original wiring? I do have a wiring diagram but can't really do anything until I have them in my grubby little hands but am assuming that I will be able to change the pins on the connector in order for all the lights to work properly.

I have seen a lot of aftermarket lights with the turn signal in the middle, but over here in Aus (as well as in the UK) they all seem to be at the top.

Here is a pic of the new ones, just for reference.

Name:  BemmerLED.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  74.5 KB

TIA for any info

Cheers
    Dave

1990 E34 535i

Yep. Indicator is usually at the top. But VIPMotoZ site appears to show you get a little cable with some resistors on it. Hopefully, it also includes a crossover so you will not have to change anything.
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

https://vipmotoz.com/collections/bmw...ked-tail-light
    there is a short 3 wire cable with plug, maybe not a resistor, the black thing seems just to be a cable protection, I assume that is the extension cable, they mention:
    What's In The Box | Pair - Driver & passenger side | Bulbs Included - signal | Built In LED - Brake, parking
    What You Might Need | Re-use original bulbs - Reverse, rear fog
    their youtube explains it all, from 49 seconds the backside is shown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8paISJd79o

They arrived this morning, and I had the old ones off and the new ones fitted in just under 20 mins... Wiring was perfect, simply plug & play.
    I reckon they look awesome so I'll post some pics later on once it gets a bit darker

Cheers!
    Dave

1990 E34 535i

Name:  20170130_160643.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  68.2 KB

1990 E34 535i

I've tried and tried to get the pic the right way round but it refuses and goes upside down

1990 E34 535i

Name:  Beemer Rear LED.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  58.1 KB

Trying again lol

1990 E34 535i

Car looks good, very good condition. No rust, no marks on the bumpers. Question about the taillights: is that legal in AUS? Here where I live I would not pass the bi-annual inspection, as the taillights are not original and have no approval number.

Hi there

Thanks for the nice comments about my car It does have hail damage on it though.
    I scored the rear spoiler from a 535iS that was on eBay for AU$80 including freight.

As for the taillights they are SAE DOT approved and also have the E11 markings as well so I reckon I'll be fine (as he crosses his fingers lol)

The state I live in has no annual inspection- the only times you need one is when it changes owners or if the coppers take a dislike to your car and put a bright yellow sticker on it (called a canary).
    Cheers
    Dave

1990 E34 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmayre View Post
    Hi there

Thanks for the nice comments about my car It does have hail damage on it though.
    I scored the rear spoiler from a 535iS that was on eBay for AU$80 including freight.

As for the taillights they are SAE DOT approved and also have the E11 markings as well so I reckon I'll be fine (as he crosses his fingers lol)

The state I live in has no annual inspection- the only times you need one is when it changes owners or if the coppers take a dislike to your car and put a bright yellow sticker on it (called a canary).
    Cheers
    Dave
    Yep, rego is a good scam in Victoria.

Gubmint gets money from everyone each year for registering their car, and claims its cracking down on old cars by making car inspections so hard to pass. Result: Old cars get registered (longer, fo mo money) until they are no longer wanted, and when someone else wants to re-register one they can't, so its gets wasted (mo money from new car sales). Win, win, so long as the message gets well managed (mo money fo the spin doctors)...

Not sure I believe those DOT and E11 markings, there are so many fake items sold online it's quite a concern now that the authorities are not following up on it. Then again, an enormous amount of new cars have silvery lights that cannot be seen to be working until they are moved out of sunlight. How those pass any kind of test I don't know, (maybe they test at night!).

But frankly, if someone has an accident and the lights are at fault, and the mod was the problem, its easy for a lawyer to prove and throw responsbility at the 'modder' as the evidence is seldom totally destroyed. That said, I have a set on the e46 which seem quite good, except I really need to get around to removing the 1/2 kg of ceramic resistors they have hanging off the back of them and then fixing the LKM so it doesn't alert for failed bulbs.

Some of these tails are pretty bad, mostly the quality problems are due to UV degradation making the plastic go all pastey white. These look ok, but I personally prefer the whole lot to be LED. On e34, the rear globes are wired back to front so you have to swap the wiring around to fit any polarity-dependent LED bulb. I've not seen anyone do this yet.

But on these the tailgate assembly is probably the normal way round (centre pole/s positive on the bulb), so you should be able retrofit LED bulbs to the reverse and rear fog lamps. I've found that some LED lamps without the built-in CANBUS resistors actually draw enough current to keep the LKM warning system happy. This is good because it means you usually also ensure a bright enough bulb t replace the factory filament bulbs. You just need enough LEDs in the cluster without making the cluster too big to physically locate into the lamp socket (ie not be too long or too wide), but you have to measure and test this yourself to see what works :-(.

E.g. For the number plate lamps (a 10W bulb), IIRC you have to use at least a 38mm Festoon lamp (or was it a 41?) with a rectangular PCB using 16x 3528 LEDs- though probably the 20x 1210 LED ones are even better.
    Last edited by genphreak; 02-05-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast