GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E34 power steering pump just karcked it (I think)

My 850 had self leveling but I could not remove the filter without breaking it so I took it off and cleaned it like the PT with a brush and mineral spirates. On my E34 I dont have self leveling but never had to get in there to look for a filter.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I took the hose that's on the side of the reservoir as I saw it was damp looking and cut the top off it, was kinda hard putting it on along with a decent hose clamp.
    Didn't see anything untowards inside but I cleaned it all up nicely (not that it was dirty really).
    Anyways, I checked today and the top of that hose is now wet, so I reckon I'll buy a replacement and see how I go.

Cheers again
    Dave

1990 E34 535i

That hose is not a high pressure hose. The high pressure hoses must be able to handle 130 bar pressure, the ones on my 750 are laid out for 180 bar.
    The low pressure hoses from to reservoir I have replaced with fuel/oil/bio-fuel resistant 20 bar hoses, so basically a good fuel hose designed for 20 bar, works well.
    Even if on one side there is the connector crimped on, you can do that. Have done it on my E36 M3 as well as on the 750. See here, click in the index on the left M3 and scroll down to the pics
    http://e32b12.blogspot.jp/
    More http://njbmwcca.org/wp/wp-content/up..._HOSE_Rev0.pdf
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1193648

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmayre View Post
    I took the hose that's on the side of the reservoir as I saw it was damp looking and cut the top off it, was kinda hard putting it on along with a decent hose clamp.
    Didn't see anything untowards inside but I cleaned it all up nicely (not that it was dirty really).
    Anyways, I checked today and the top of that hose is now wet, so I reckon I'll buy a replacement and see how I go.

Cheers again
    Dave
    Another thought just came to me, if the fluid is contaminated the cavitation of the pump can cause air in the system. Try to change the fluids and then have another go at it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Fixed!

I had another look at the pump and found a bolt near where you tighten the belt which was slightly loose.
    I tightened it up, and voila, no more noise! It's working perfectly again! Go figure!

I have another issue, not sure if I should create a new thread, but I have no low-down power at all.
    If there is a gap in traffic and I try to go, the car just sits there- I have to hold the brake and give her some revs then she will take off.
    I've almost had a few accidents because of it.

Once the car hits about 3000-3500 rpm then she takes off like a rocket, but anything below that a man on a bicycle can out-drag me.

I've also noticed that when I have the hood open and rev it manually she almost stalls out.
    I thought that it might be the fitting from the air filter to the MAF as it was split and taped up, so I ended up fitting a cold air intake (which sounds jolly nice) but unfortunately the issue is still there.

Not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are the bomb!

Cheers
    Dave

1990 E34 535i

Is that car with automatic transmission? 535 should have a ZF 4HP22. Maybe it needs a valve body overhaul or just the screen filter in front of the flow regulation solenoid inside the valve body is dirty, see here
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hifting-solved
    also check the trans fluid level http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...lication-Chart

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmayre View Post
    I had another look at the pump and found a bolt near where you tighten the belt which was slightly loose.
    I tightened it up, and voila, no more noise! It's working perfectly again! Go figure!

I have another issue, not sure if I should create a new thread, but I have no low-down power at all.
    If there is a gap in traffic and I try to go, the car just sits there- I have to hold the brake and give her some revs then she will take off.
    I've almost had a few accidents because of it.

Once the car hits about 3000-3500 rpm then she takes off like a rocket, but anything below that a man on a bicycle can out-drag me.

I've also noticed that when I have the hood open and rev it manually she almost stalls out.
    I thought that it might be the fitting from the air filter to the MAF as it was split and taped up, so I ended up fitting a cold air intake (which sounds jolly nice) but unfortunately the issue is still there.

Not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are the bomb!

Cheers
    Dave
    Having the same issue with this 530 I have. Make another thread, not like you would be spamming the board here...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12