GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Newb e34 touring with some issues

Default Newb e34 touring with some issues

Hello all, I've recently got my first 5 series, a 92 525 touring. I've had e30s and e46s before, never a wagon though, I'm slowly fixing all the things that have been let go, and currently I'm struggling with the rear glass electric opener. I can open it manually with the toolbox and trim removed - I've replaced the micro switch, and checked the wires for breaks, they look like they were repaired by a previous owner, and it looks good, but still not working. It looks a bit damaged back there, so before I go any further could someone with more experience take a look - see if I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance!

I only know that broken wire looms on the Touring are quite often a problem. Have you checked all of them already?
    Thread: Touring Hatch harness fun
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ch-harness-fun

Quote Originally Posted by brinkley View Post

Looks like someone hacked this regulator or whatever it is apart. Grab a new one and start over. This was busted open for some reason or another, I would just replace it and tray again.

Congrats on your first touring!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks! I just picked up a 92 sedan 5 speed for parts and then realized it has billys/h&rs!

H&R's Yeah! Billies... not so much.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default The old conumndrum, which shock?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    H&R's Yeah! Billies... not so much.
    Billie Sports on heavily lowered springs are very good and make for a positive and firm ride. If they are not sports, they're called HDs or Tourings. You can reference them with the part number stamped in the casing. Tourings are a lighter design designed for standard fitment only.

Beware also that the fron shocks on e34 come in two types, one with a 22mm nut and a thicker piston, another with a smaller piston. They mate to different supports (upper strut mounts/'top-hats') which means you must use the appropriate top-hat hardware for the shock you use. Most aftermarket shocks come in both types so they 'bolt-on' to any customer's vehicle without requiring changing anything other than the shock, the cover and/or the bump-stops.

IMHE HDs feel as harsh as Sports, (they are just designed to dampen a taller spring). The valve is the only difference- and it can be changed by pulling the shock apart. Regal 632 dislikes them as they have internal bumpstops that just deteriorate in no time- and he's had a pretty bad run with fitting new/faulty ones. So if they are fitted without external bumpstops, consider fitting them if you ever get in there.

If you drive on rough roads or don't want your e34 to have the suspension of a Sherman tank, best to option Boge/Sachs Automatics (around std ride height). Any sport height spring requires a sport shock for optimum grip, in order of best results these are Koni Sports, Sachs 'Turbo' (e34 M5 shocks), Koni SRT (or some other acronym I can't remember), and then Meyle Sport, etc.

Reliability as well as performance are high on these, whereas the Bilsteins Sports are known to be a good, bulletproof, cheap track shock that you can rebuild- though Regal 632's (considerable) experience disputes the bulletproof label for many of us around here.

Remember experience with the model of shock used on your car is the best kind of gold- anyone who drives another model/car is using a different product and set of settings entirely.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!