GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Bosch Motronic 1.3 - CD or ID ignition?

Default Bosch Motronic 1.3 - CD or ID ignition?

Anyone happen to know if the Bosch Motronic is capacitive or inductive discharge ignition? I would suspect inductive but... ??

Cheers!

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/ecm/14_2.pdf

this pdf from a 1.3 shows provisions in duty cycle for modification of ignition, modification of current (I think) and for delaying the ignition for the transmission, i'd think thats inductive.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

nevermind, that doesn't give you enough information to determine anything conclusively, though the absence of a ignition amerage of above .25 certainly helps.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

ignore everything i said, please. my ignorance gives me away, there isn't a single marking for ampere on there, i saw what i wanted. i need to buy myself a copy of the bosch book.

well...it's still a pretty cool little reference tool. I'll print a copy for my records.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

you'd be better off subscribing to diy-efi.org and asking one of them as i'm almost certain that one of those dorks would know, but then you have to deal with a mailing list and all that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Anyone happen to know if the Bosch Motronic is capacitive or inductive discharge ignition? I would suspect inductive but... ??

Cheers!

Jeff

Inductive

Default That's what I figured..thank you sir.

Got a deal on a Jacobs Mileage Master ignition computer with bundled coil. It's inductive, not a CD unit which I think is a better match actually. Gonna give it a whirl and see if it makes any difference in how the car runs. Basically has MSD abilities below 3k RPM, and "adaptive spark" at all RPMs.

If it sucks on the BMW, I'm gonna stick it on my 72 Ford F250. I'm sure it'll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    Inductive
    Bellevue WA

Default Jeff, do me a favor... I see you're getting the maf from Bruno also -

would you mind putting these things on one at a time and driving it awhile first to see what difference the jacobs makes if any? I'm skeptical but you never know, so I thought your judgement should be pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Got a deal on a Jacobs Mileage Master ignition computer with bundled coil. It's inductive, not a CD unit which I think is a better match actually. Gonna give it a whirl and see if it makes any difference in how the car runs. Basically has MSD abilities below 3k RPM, and "adaptive spark" at all RPMs.

If it sucks on the BMW, I'm gonna stick it on my 72 Ford F250. I'm sure it'll love it!

Default sure thing...

The Jacobs thing is a bit of a lark - been reading on ignitions and doing some web research. You find two distinct experiences with these sorts of add-ons - love 'em or hate 'em - not much in the middle. There's a bit of information from the E28 crowd of adding a Jacobs or similar system, opening up the plugs a bit and getting slightly better mileage and power.

Can't find any real information on the abilities of the stock Bosch ignition these cars. Looks to be a pretty much plain vanilla electronic setup without the bells and whistles promised by the computerized boxes.

The MAF should be a much better, more applicable tool really - hopefully can quickly dial in the a/f mixture on the car without having tinker with the chip. Of course, still need to mess with the timing and Mark D. has been most helpful here.

But yes...one change at a time!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    would you mind putting these things on one at a time and driving it awhile first to see what difference the jacobs makes if any? I'm skeptical but you never know, so I thought your judgement should be pretty accurate.
    Bellevue WA