GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E46 318 c i steering wheel feels heavy?

Default E46 318 c i steering wheel feels heavy?

Hello and happy easter all together
    My brother's BMW 318 (it is a cabrio E46) always had this pretty heavy feeling in the steering wheel when turning. There are no sounds or whatsoever. Is this normal?
    At the BMW dealership they gave us Pentosin for the steering reservor, but I did not refill it yet, because I suspect that ATF is the right fluid?

Best regards
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1989 E34 535i
    M30B35 six cylinder, single overhead camshaft, 3.43 L, multi-point fuel injection

What does the cap say of the reservoir? ATF probably. My E36 M3 also uses ATF. Also you can check the color of the fluid now inside. Pentosin is greenish.
    What does the owner's manual say?
    My E36 M3 steering is also not as soft as the E32 750, the 3 series is more direct and harder. What to check?
    First check the power steering fluid. It should be a deep red color, not brown. If it is brown and smells “burnt,” then change your fluid. Secondly, be sure the power steering belt is tight as a loose belt can definitely affect steering. Lastly, the filter should also be free and clear of any clogs or debris. If the fluid is decent, the belt is tight and the filter is clean, then the problem is most likely the power steering pump.
    Also you could try a flushing of the system http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/power_steering_flush

Actually the reservoir was full and the color seemed right. And of course it says "ATF only" on the cap So the BMW dealership did wrong by selling us pentosin. The steering pump belt was tight btw.
    I could not find the steering fluid filter though. I will search better next time he comes along
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1989 E34 535i
    M30B35 six cylinder, single overhead camshaft, 3.43 L, multi-point fuel injection

I do not know the E46 well, check in realoem for the filter, my E32 power steering reservoir has a filter which can be replaced, but maybe that is different on the E46

There is a filter in the reservoir that becomes clogged. You can replace the whole unit or remove it and rinse (shake vigorously with laquor thinner) to remove the crud. This crud clogs the pumps free flow and causes a delay in the fluid returning to the pump. Is there any sounds like the pump being low on fluid?
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 03-29-2016 at 01:14 AM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Now I understand why they sold you Pentosin CHF by mistake, they misunderstood.
    The container is a Pentosin container with probably CHF stamped in the lid, the E46 318ci container is sold like this
    OIL CARRIER CHF 11.S 32416851217 only in conjunction with Label, oil container-power steering pump ATF 71246798132, the parts guys probably just read CHF and therefore they sold you the wrong fluid.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1281

Regal has the idea to clean the filter inside, maybe it works.

Here they say: Is that reservoir really a wear out and replace kind of part anyway?>>>>It contains the filter, and should be changed periodically.

and also here they confirm you need ATF, they were also confused http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...e=3&highlight=