GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions on the 535i

Default A couple of questions on the 535i

Hello together,

I have a few questions concerning by 88' E34 535i. They are listed below. Any help is appreciated!

1) There is an oil spot on the side of the engine block. The car has been resting for 1 week. Could it be a oil sump gasket leaking?
    Name:  Oil leak.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  118.3 KB

2) When cold, the drivers door is very difficult to unlock. Sometimes I have to open the lock of the passenger side, and then all locks are accessible. Is lubricating the lock with graphit powder the solution? I have tried a special fluid but it didn't really worked.

3) This pipe seems to be connected from the exhaust header on the brake servo unit. As far as I know, the brake servo requires the manifold (under-)pressure to operate? So what is the purpose of this line?
    Name:  Brake servo pipe.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  81.2 KB

4) What exactly is the purpose of this object? Is it some sort of a filter for the steering fluid? (Sorry, noob here)
    Name:  Object.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  117.6 KB

5) I am planning to change the spark plugs soon. I noticed that there are plenty of cables and equipment in the way? Is it something you can do fast and without uninstalling many parts on this particular car?

Thanks!
    And have a nice weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jazz_89; 01-23-2016 at 07:54 AM.

2) When cold, the drivers door is very difficult to unlock. Sometimes I have to open the lock of the passenger side, and then all locks are accessible. Is lubricating the lock with graphit powder the solution? I have tried a special fluid but it didn't really worked.

If someone used the wrong lube it could be gummed up. I would try flushing it out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Work it with the key easily until it turns easily, let it dry a day and then use graphite.

3) This pipe seems to be connected from the exhaust header on the brake servo unit. As far as I know, the brake servo requires the manifold (under-)pressure to operate? So what is the purpose of this line?

That is connected to the intake manifold. The exhaust is on the other side of the engine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Use the realoem.com parts drawings.
    Vacuum system of M30
    http://blog.bavauto.com/8393/bmw-m30...i-635csi-735i/
    Name:  hose_map.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  81.4 KB
    Also check hoses under the intake, pics/drawings in here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...take-boot-hose
    Main oil leak on the M30 is usually here http://www.evansweb.info/2003/02/19/...gine-oil-leak/

Oil leak looks to be above the sump gasket, but from underneath you can go round the sump and make sure all the 10mm bolts are tight (just firm really, not tight as it is a cork gasket). Sometimes a few slacken off after the decades pass.

The leak is most likely the dipstick tube block seal (o-ring) or the $3 oil filter housing to block gasket. Old M30s can benefit form having the filter housing removed and cleaned up- sometimes the valve seizes up in the bottom of the filter housing and allows the oil to drain back into the sump overnight- it should keep it there ready for the next startup.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak View Post
    Oil leak looks to be above the sump gasket, but from underneath you can go round the sump and make sure all the 10mm bolts are tight (just firm really, not tight as it is a cork gasket). Sometimes a few slacken off after the decades pass.

The leak is most likely the dipstick tube block seal (o-ring) or the $3 oil filter housing to block gasket. Old M30s can benefit form having the filter housing removed and cleaned up- sometimes the valve seizes up in the bottom of the filter housing and allows the oil to drain back into the sump overnight- it should keep it there ready for the next startup.

Thhanks for the many replies
    Now I am having another leak above the front crankshaft sensor. I think this is the timing chain tensioner (?)
    I cleaned it with a rag before taking the picture.

Name:  Crank.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  80.7 KB

I tried to tighten that nut, but it was not possible. Any ideas where the leak could be coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_89 View Post
    Thhanks for the many replies
    Now I am having another leak above the front crankshaft sensor. I think this is the timing chain tensioner (?)
    I cleaned it with a rag before taking the picture.

Name:  Crank.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  80.7 KB

I tried to tighten that nut, but it was not possible. Any ideas where the leak could be coming from?
    To retighten most bolts you need to crack them loose first and then re-torque them. Now that you have it cleaned up it should be easier to see where the leak is actually at. Could actually be coming from the top big nut gasket and running down.

EDIT ** looking at your picture again are you missing a bolt on the crank sensor mount? You sure are! Although it's not where you indicate the leak is at.

Check out Shoguns links for other experiences with leaks.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    To retighten most bolts you need to crack them loose first and then re-torque them. Now that you have it cleaned up it should be easier to see where the leak is actually at. Could actually be coming from the top big nut gasket and running down.

EDIT ** looking at your picture again are you missing a bolt on the crank sensor mount? You sure are! Although it's not where you indicate the leak is at.

Check out Shoguns links for other experiences with leaks.
    I see, you mean on the upper right corner? The other copper-coloured thread on the engine block should be ok (no bolt missing there^^)

Alright, so what is this big cylinder with the nut on top? Is it some sort of inspection hole for adjusting the timing belt?

Timing chain tensioner? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_1187
    and #24 is a gasket ring . I had a leak once there on my M70 engine.
    24 Gasket ring A22X27-AL 07119963355 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_1187

Bottom bolt hole to the left in the picture. Could be an alignment stud but I doubt it. My photoshop skills are not good so I just cropped it.

Name:  Crank copy.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  51.5 KB
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast