GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone have the eml, dme and gauge temperature sensor specs

Default Anyone have the eml, dme and gauge temperature sensor specs

I have a 91 735i M30. Does anyone have the testing specs for the coolant sensors? There are three. (Blue) DME, (Brown) EML and (Black) Instrumentation gauge.

should be in the workshop manual, either the top or the lower one in this link https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/
    In case you cannot find it, let me know, have to check in my E32 Bentley Repair Manual then.
    Or take this one from a German site http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-tempsensor.htm

o.k., morning here in Japan, had a coffee and can type for you from Bentley E32 manual page 170-5

coolant temperature sensor wire colors

engine & year ......................gauge sender............................................ ...ECT sensor DME............................................... .........EML temperature sensor
    M30 DME 1.31988-1992..........brown/violet-bown/yellow...............................brown/red-brown/orange............................................ brown/red-blue/violet
    M60 1993-1994, DME 3.3........brown/violet-brown/yellow..............................yellow/green-brown/orange........................................---------------------------
    M70 1988-1990 DME 1.2.......brown/white-brown/yellow..............................brown/red/yellow-brown/red-brown.............................brown/red-blue/violet
    M70 1991-1992 DME 1.7.......brown/violet-brown/yellow..............................brown/red/yellow-brown/red-brown.............................brown/red-blue/violet
    M70 1993-1004 DME 1.7.......brown/violet-brown/yellow..............................brown/red/yellow-brown/red-brown.............................brown/red-white/brown

ECT = engine coolant temperature, as for location of the sensors see www.realoem.com

Unfortunately they don't show the testing specs for the eml sensor. The Bentley Manuel shows the specs for DME sensor and the wire color for all three sensors as you have found. The DME sensor is the blue one and the testing specs are on the German site you provided. There are other sensors on the German site but I don't know the ohms of the eml sensor.

Unfortunately that is all I have as info for this.

Default Lab experiment

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Unfortunately that is all I have as info for this.
    Maybe it is time someone did this in a lab.

Tested both the EML and DME temp sensor with the following results ~3.46 - 3.75 at room temp and ~0.22 - 0.26 in boiling water. This is similar to the results shown in the Bentley manual. Wonder why they used separate sensor for both the EML and DME than threw in another sensor for the temp gauge. Go figure those Germans

If I remember correct, the sensor for the temp gauge in the cluster is different, probably less exact and much slower, as just for info and it should not jump around and in any case the cluster temp gauge has a tableau to show steady temperatures, while the ones for the DME and EML must be very fast and accurate.

Bentley manual https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...Y6TBqhdQLO6x9y

More details about sensors data and measuring for the M70 I posted here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...idle-when-warm