GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1995 540i - noise at left rear

Default 1995 540i - noise at left rear

When I drive over slight bumps, I hear a banging noise from the left rear. I run Bilstein Sport Shocks with short springs - front lowered 1-1/4", rear lowered 1". I removed the shock/spring from the left rear and removed the spring from the shock. With about 100 lbs. of force, I can smoothly compress the shock shaft into the shock tube - release the pressure and the shaft smoothly extends from the tube. The shocks have 25000 miles on them - the car has 239,000 miles on it. The shocks seem OK. Anyone have problems with the rubber bushing in the rear suspension? Looking at the rear suspension, nothing looks out of order or obviously loose. Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas?

In many cases dogbones are the problem http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...PitmanArms.htm
    Is the small rubber like shock absorber/bump stop still in? This is how like my old one looked http://twrite.org/shogunnew/files/20...17CIMG0314.JPG
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/files/20...17CIMG0316.JPG

Problem solved - the top left rear shock mount failed. The rubber was torn from the mount, no doubt due to the washboard road we were on in Oregon this past summer. The road was so rough that I could only do 1000 RPM in 1st gear for 5 miles. Have new mounts on order from Patrick at BMA Parts in CA. Replacing both rear top shock mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarksonvalley View Post
    Problem solved - the top left rear shock mount failed. The rubber was torn from the mount, no doubt due to the washboard road we were on in Oregon this past summer. The road was so rough that I could only do 1000 RPM in 1st gear for 5 miles. Have new mounts on order from Patrick at BMA Parts in CA. Replacing both rear top shock mounts.
    I installed these recently over the Koni adjustables on my 540

http://mooseheadengineering.com/moos...tegory=1512126

after having driven the e34 540 for ten years now I liked the idea of never having to do these again.

I can report no increase in cabin noise level or harshness in ride..

You reuse the studs and brass cup of the originals and combine those with the Moosehead hats.

A simple , east and straightforward job.. the polyurethane bushings should outlast the car but are easily replaceable if needed.

One caveat.. The pair I received were improperly welded.. not sure of the reason but they broke shortly after installation.

I contacted the manufacturer who refunded my purchase in full.

I had planned to just go with Myle HD stock type mount but the shop had a welder and he MIG welded them together for me and they have been great..

If you decide to try these just make sure you ask the seller if he has checked they are not from the weak weld batch.. He's an honest guy and will do you right..
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95