GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio system and upgrades

Default Audio system and upgrades

Hi,

my 530i V8 is equipped with the 10 speaker system. Standard in the U.S., called "hifi option" in the EU.

Recently, all 3 speakers near the front passenger door stopped working. I suspect the amplifier or built-in crossover to be faulty.

Would it be possible to replace the amplifier with modern aftermarket equipment? In addition, I would add a separate crossover.

Since the wiring for the 2 component system is there already, I don't see why the above would not work. However, I am not an expert at electric stuff and audio so I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

I prefer to keep the original speakers for now.

I would be checking the wiring to the speakers from the amp. Does the left rear speaker still work? My radio is kinda funky and the left side wont work unless I play with the volume knob, need to spray some contact cleaner in there one day. Try wiggling the knob and see if it pops back on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff is right, the volume pot can cause an entire left or right channel to go 'out' but if so it affects the front and rear speakers at the same time.

The amplifier can be accessed behind the panel on the left side of the trunk, a couple of 10mm bolts/screws and disconnecting the two multi-pin plugs will get it out. Check the wiring from the plugs to the speakers (each driver has a separate pair of wires going to it, (the tweeter is the easiest to access).

If driver's door, it may be a wiring failure but I'd be surprised.

Although one channel of the amp could be out, (it has 4), it is more likely the crossover (this splits the 4 to 10). Often visual inspection of the coils and output transistors will allow you to see what components have failed. Maybe there is some corroded copper wire that can simply be removed and re-connected.

If transistors or blown coils, replace any nearby diodes and resistors at the same time and return to service, these systems seldom fail and last a long time even if fixed :-)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I use a modern Pioneer 1-Din USB radio with a 50w amp in it. Playing with any knobs doesnt change a thing. If I put fader and balance on front and left, I need to turn up the volume real loud to hear something and it will be paired with alot of noise.

Again, all speakers work fine except for the front passenger side speakers. Thats a tweeter, dash mounted speaker and kicker panel mounted speaker.

I removed the panels in my trunk on the drivers side but I can not find the amp. I had a 6CD changer which I removed myself a year ago due to failing (and switching to USB radio) but behind that, further into the trunk near the driver side rear wheel, is no amp.

I 100% positively have 10 speakers OEM in the car so I should also have that amp. Does anyone have a photo of the amp stock in a stock E34 sedan?

Take a look at the parts diagram.

- Has the amp been removed altogether so just the speakers remain?
    - Have you got a fader control in the dash?

Often third party installations remove the fader control and/or poor connections can upset the output to the speakers or the inputs to the amp.

HiFi Amp: 65128361781

Fits from 03/1993+ and up with Hi-Fi 10-speaker system

E32 740i Sedan
    E32 740iL Sedan
    E32 750iL Sedan

E34 525i Sedan
    E34 530i Sedan
    E34 540i Sedan
    E34 M5 3.6 Sedan

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by Frank87 View Post
    ...I removed the panels in my trunk on the drivers side but I can not find the amp...
    I Have the amp in the right side, just behind the gas port and tire replacement tools. At the left side I do also have the 6 CD changer.

Interesting, I just looked at the US version diagram, it still seems to show the amp on the left side.

All I've seen are euro e34s, they have the CD changer under the parcel shelf (left side), not in the inner side panel. That is reserved for the amp, cellular unit (sometimes) and the inclination sensor (further in- over the wheel well).

Javier, yours is a US model- steel fuel tank, is that correct?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Thanks for the info Javier, gonna see if I can find the amp on the passenger side.

[QUOTE=Javier, yours is a US model- steel fuel tank, is that correct?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delay, mine is German. What I have sen is the 10 CD changer below the parcel shelf. My 6 CD is in the left side behind an easily removed cover to have access and change CD magazines. The amplifier (and replacement tire tools) is in the right side behind the trimming that has the pocket for small items in the trunk.

My system is a BMW Bavaria C Proffessional RDS

I believe also that my fuel tank is plastic.

Javier

Checked the right side today. No amp. I took away all the trim pieces up to the rear wheel arch. I have the jack, the tire piece and a small metal part belonging to the jack. No amp.

This stuff is getting stranger by the day. I am going to upload pictures of my trunk with trim pieces removed to see if any of you guys can point out where my amp could be.

I do have to say though, that my radio has an ISO cable behind it. Usually, when you have a system that uses an amp and crossover, you have 1 single cable behind your radio so that your amp does all the work. I have an ISO cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast