GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Had Exhaust Work.Now Oversteer?

Default Had Exhaust Work.Now Oversteer?

Had a hole in the resonator and one Cat had gone into the exhaust ..

Had a shop give a quote of about $400. for two new off the shelf Cats. Two new Off the Shelf Resonators and they would re-use the stock muffler.

The right underside muffler hanger support had rotted off so I asked if possible they fabricate and attach something from which to suspend the right muffler rubber doughnut.

When I called for an update they explained they were going to weld their own hangers to the muffler and bolt it to the underside.

I did not get a detailed explanation of their intention.

What they did was bend some 1/2" or 1/4" metal bar which are attached on one end to a hinged flap with a rubber piece about 2" sqaureish.

They bolted those to the under side and the bottom s were bent to run under the tailpipes and they WELDED THEM TO THE TAILPIPES.

What I think this did I discovered when I got out onto the highway and tried a fast lane change was this seems I think to have connected the weight of the muffler to the rear end instead of swinging DE-COUPLED as it was when hanging from the rubber doughnuts..

I am asking if I am imagining this or am I spot on.

I have recently put the stock 15" wheels with Michelin x ice 2 snow tires on and there is more movement when doing fast cornering I;m just not certain I am actually feeling even more due to the muffler essentially being directly connected to the rear end underside..

I will probably when time permits seek out a place to have the suspender fabbed and welded up and have these things removed... Other than that I am getting much better MPG and power delivery and no Tank like rumbling so it's not all bad.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I've done Stainless Steel exhaust systems with what you describe. I didn't have the same effect you are noting.
    Sounds like you added quite a bit of weight to the back end of the car in the process. Check your tire pressure to be sure that's not aggravating your problem.

1990 535im 421,000 miles, 1987 325is, 1989 325is, 1990 m3, 1991 318is, 2001 X5 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by ahlem View Post
    I've done Stainless Steel exhaust systems with what you describe. I didn't have the same effect you are noting.
    Sounds like you added quite a bit of weight to the back end of the car in the process. Check your tire pressure to be sure that's not aggravating your problem.
    I have since concluded I do feel some additional input due to the fitted connection of the muffler weight but the effect of this impression was amplified by the recent installation of the 15" Winter tires and once I adapted to this different feel I found it not only acceptable but even somewhat an improvement I expect will be even more preferable when I can resume driving on Summer tires on the 17" M Systems.

I re-used the original Muffler so the actual weight ought not be increased I only thought the original de-coupled design reduced the influence of the muffler weight where the now welded firm connection had to add its mass to the inertia during turning which was felt in the opposite point of the front wheels..

I was basically asking if there is physics behind my impression or if it was something I was imagining.
    Last edited by Jehu; 12-05-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I don't think the weight or regidity of the system would cause any handling changes unless the thing is swinging wildly back and forth. What tire pressures do you use?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy