GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Steering Linkage Question

Default Steering Linkage Question

Getting ready to replace all the steering linkage components and the upper control arms as we are loose in the front end again.

When I ordered the steering parts from Patrick at BMA, I asked for Lemforder bits. He said that on the center link, that the Lemforder part was actually TRW, and that would be the part in the Leforder bag and there is no reason to pay an extra $20 for the Lemforder "bag" when the part is the same. At the time I thought, sure, no use in paying extra for the same bits. So, I have Lemforder tie rod ends and pitman arm, but TRW center section.

Does this sound correct? Or, should I ask them to send the Lemforder part and return the TRW center link? Not a fan of cheap aftermarket parts. OE or better, please!

Thoughts?

Many thanks,

R.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

I've got those exact same parts in my 535 and it is tight as in perfect. Patrick is my guy at BMA also and I trust him totally. Like he said, no point in paying the 20 for the bag. You're going to be fine. Why didn't you replace the lower control arms while you are there since everything else is coming out. TRW is not a cheap part company by the way.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Default Steering Linakage

I am a big fan of Patrick and Yves. They have helped me out many a time. This was just one of those things that I wondered about after the fact. Not that TRW is low quality stuff, its just that on average OE parts seem to fit better and work better.

As for the lower control arms, I replaced those and the sway bar links about 20k mi. ago, so they ought to be good. This is the second time for the upper control arm bushings (aka thrust arms) and I am doing the whole arm with M5 bushing instead of just the 750 bushings.

Hoping to knock this out this coming weekend and get her in for an alignment next Monday!
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

Default Steering Linkage

I am a big fan of Patrick and Yves. They have helped me out many a time. This was just one of those things that I wondered about after the fact. Not that TRW is low quality stuff, its just that on average OE parts seem to fit better and work better.

As for the lower control arms, I replaced those and the sway bar links about 20k mi. ago, so they ought to be good. This is the second time for the upper control arm bushings (aka thrust arms) and I am doing the whole arm with M5 bushing instead of just the 750 bushings.

Hoping to knock this out this coming weekend and get her in for an alignment next Monday!
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi