GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e34 540 Remanufactured Steering Boxes?

Default e34 540 Remanufactured Steering Boxes?

I am beginning I think to feel some play in the front end steering while at highway speed.

Yesterday I was changing lanes around 80MPH to the right then when I turned the steering wheel back straight there seemed as if there was a delay which scared me... I will check front end arms , joints , linkages etc possibly tomorrow.

Reading about the steering box adjustment I read that screw adjustment only affects the driver steering wheel feel and has nothing to do with whether there is play between the input and output to the front wheels due to worn internals.

I don't think the shaft 32mm nut is at fault either .

I'll check the U joints when able but if all else is in good order can these boxes be rebuilt in a way that restores them to new condition?

I thought I'd read ZF didn't selll any internal parts and of course the units are NLA.

I see some on ebay advertized as re-manufactured with OEM or better parts but wanted to see if anyone had the opportunity to inquire about these and if they are worth the price over just fining one with lo miles..

here's one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-530i-540...457b0f&vxp=mtr
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Hi there J, I recall also a thread here some time ago that there were no longer "kits as such to rebuild available to the general public and that they were limited to industry etc. I have the same symptoms on my 540 as well as was considering the options. a board member from QLD recently replaced his ill try and get in touch with him and see what he did, where it came from etc and what the result was. the ebay price for that unit seems acceptable with warranty and all if it is what is says it is etc.

regards
    mattyb

Take note that that box is non-servotronic. About the only way to see if your car has servotronic is to remove it or the engine to identify it. I am pretty sure that most M60s did have it. Mine has play and a big leak that has stopped temporarily due to additives and being warm out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

ZF still rebuilds the power steering units, but they are not selling single parts for DIY. They are available from the BMW dealer or ZF directly.

The other 'rebuilders' have to be checked carefully, that could be a backyard shop which just cleans it and replaces some gaskets, or other specialized shops which make it better or same as ZF. For example the seller you linked has a very good record on Ebay.Top-rated seller, carsteering (9960 ) 99,4% Positive feedback, and they mention: Condition: Remanufactured
    Seller Notes:“Fully remanufactured and tested GENUINE unit, built to meet or exceed exact OEM specifications. Remanufactured under the strictest standards using only premium quality parts. Backed 100% by our industry leading warranty. THIS ITEM REQUIRES A $150 REFUNDABLE CORE DEPOSIT IN ADDITION TO THE PURCHASE PRICE. We cannot ship your part until the core deposit is paid. When you send your old part (core) back to us, we refund the core deposit back to you. Return shipping from within the USA 48 states is FREE! Car Steering includes a free pre-paid UPS return shipping label with your purchase. If you have any questions, feel free to call us toll free.”

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    ZF still rebuilds the power steering units, but they are not selling single parts for DIY. They are available from the BMW dealer or ZF directly.

The other 'rebuilders' have to be checked carefully, that could be a backyard shop which just cleans it and replaces some gaskets, or other specialized shops which make it better or same as ZF. For example the seller you linked has a very good record on Ebay.Top-rated seller, carsteering (9960 ) 99,4% Positive feedback, and they mention: Condition: Remanufactured
    Seller Notes:“Fully remanufactured and tested GENUINE unit, built to meet or exceed exact OEM specifications. Remanufactured under the strictest standards using only premium quality parts. Backed 100% by our industry leading warranty. THIS ITEM REQUIRES A $150 REFUNDABLE CORE DEPOSIT IN ADDITION TO THE PURCHASE PRICE. We cannot ship your part until the core deposit is paid. When you send your old part (core) back to us, we refund the core deposit back to you. Return shipping from within the USA 48 states is FREE! Car Steering includes a free pre-paid UPS return shipping label with your purchase. If you have any questions, feel free to call us toll free.”

I read that statement yes.
    I suppose it appeared to me lacking in enough specific information to generate full confidence they mean the internals have been replaced and not merely some seals and cleaning as you mention.

Thanks for clearing my false assumption the units were not being rebuilt and sold by ZF or BMW.. that's always an option then if doing without means not driving the car..

Different components wear differently and thus the same items are not always replaced. They should look to see what is in tolerance and what is out, pPerform tests to make sure each sub assembly and then the full assembly works within tolerance, and only then consider it remanufactured (a good shop considers this good as new). The new ones all vary a fair bit anyhow as these are cast housings so from the get-go some are better than others. Remember there are only some parts, if any, which need to come from ZF- everything can be made or substituted without any loss in longevity/reliability. Some may be better. Even if they undertake to use all ZF parts they might not, so reputation of the shop is really the only way to cover yourself for the replaced parts being worse- as most will make it through a warranty period.
    Last edited by genphreak; 08-14-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Sure would suck finding an issue after it is replaced.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I've yet to replace the steering box but since posting this thread I have replaced the steering pump, AC compressor and Alternator .

The PS Pump I replaced after I began hearing a groaning noise which changed pitch when turning the wheel specifically to the left, it got louder.

Then when that failed to eliminate this groaning I replaced the AC compressor as it had been unplugged for a while over Winter until I replaced the Evaporator a few weeks ago. After that red rust dust was all over the engine compartment and the clutch pully could be seen spinning when the AC was off so I decided to replace it..

There was grinding noise when hand turning the AC pulley with the belts off but the original groaning noise is still present.

The following week my Alternator caused a fire... this required a new Alternator.

Still hearing the groaning.. I have replaced also the AC idler pulley a couple of years ago which leaves the Water pump the only original part on a belt.

As I am again finding the front end wandering a bit annoying I started wondering if these Steering Boxes can create any kind of droning or groaning type constant noise ,louder at higher speeds also changing when turning the steering wheel.

I took the car to a BMW trained Indy shop owner today. He worked for BMW as a tech when the e34 was new and owns an e34 M5 still but he could not discern the noise ..

I am fairly puzzled but it is definitely audible ...

Could the Steering Box be it or more likely the Water Pump shaft worn ?

Only other idea he had was the drive shaft center bearing but I had a re-manned shaft installed at a BMW indy shop two years ago .. I;d be shocked if they failed to pre-load that and it is at fault ..

groaning could be air, dirt or old hydraulic hoses , some info https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...eering-systems
    Have you already changed all filters in the system?
    On my E32 there is one in the Pentosin container, that can be washed out on my container version, and there is a small filter mesh at the bottom of my steering box, see on my website under fixes>>>steering>>Steering is intermittently heavy at low speeds: servotronic hydraulic unit may have dirty screen

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    groaning could be air, dirt or old hydraulic hoses , some info https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...eering-systems
    Have you already changed all filters in the system?
    On my E32 there is one in the Pentosin container, that can be washed out on my container version, and there is a small filter mesh at the bottom of my steering box, see on my website under fixes>>>steering>>Steering is intermittently heavy at low speeds: servotronic hydraulic unit may have dirty screen

Have not replaced the reservoir
    and or its filter..
    Its not servotronic this is just a regualr 540 manual not the M Sport
    Hoses were replaced first two years ago.. I admit I left the fluid in without changing too long.. I know the filter wasn't changed back then either.

I also have noticed the PS cooling coil rubber segments are leaking slightly ..maybe they are letting air in

I'll try cleaning the reservoir filter first.Thanks
    Last edited by Jehu; 06-27-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast