GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1995 BMW 540i seat heater switch

Default 1995 BMW 540i seat heater switch

How do you remove the plug from the seat heater switch???Name:  Seat Heater Switch.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  37.5 KB

I don't see anything you can depress, etc.

On the pic in the black part you see 2 blue portions with the clips, same on the other side, use small jewelry screwdrivers to release these clips

I did that and the two parts separate except their is a fabric strap about 1-1/2" long that keeps the two parts together. It looks like the small blue wiring tab should come out of the blue case, but I don't see how.

Breakout Boxes and Connectors
    Model: All
    Production Date: All
    Objective
    After completion of this module you will be able to:
    • Recognize and distinguish the various Electrical Repair Kits.
    • Use the Connector Removal Kit.
    • Recognize the plug configurations and disassemble them properly.
    • Repair wiring harnesses and connectors.
    • Choose the proper Breakout Box and “V” cable for testing.
    • Use the relay testing tool.

http://www.e38.org/breakoutboxesandconenctors.pdf

I am pretty sure that the black bit above the small blue connector that the wires enter slides back (a few mm, to the left). Once it is, the blue plug should slip out of the larger blue piece.

The other 4 semi-circular tabs allow the switch itself to be dissembled, because it looks to have some bulbs and/or a relay incorporated into it. E34 had an early and late heater switch, the wiring in the car had a different relay setup, IIRC.

If the switch is faulty, you should be able to pull it down, clean it up, use an ink eraser to clean carbon build up form the poles, and re-grease with carbon grease. Don't skip the re-greasing, as it they arc every time and fail promptly and worse next time.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

There is nothing wrong with the switch, I just need to remove it from the seat panel - I am doing a Leatherique dye treatment on the seats. The rear seats are complete, working on the fronts now. I'll see if I can fiddle with the black tab some more. Initially tried moving the black tab without any luck.

OK - so I teased the little black tab out, but the small blue plug will still not release from the larger blue body. When I detach the larger blue body from the black body, there is a piece of cloth tape holding the two pieces together. I need to get the small blue plug out of the larger blue body in order to get the whole assembly off the seat panel. See the photo.Name:  Seat Heater Switch-2.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  52.2 KB

That is real strange, the only thing I can thing of is that the wire loom unplugs somewhere else allowing the switch to only be inserted from the outside. Couldn't find it on realoem so it is just a guess.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

This is what the underside of the passenger seat looks like - the seat heater wiring disappears into a larger wiring loom. There's got to be some way to get the little blue plug out of the larger blue body, but I don't see it. I'll probably end up cutting the wiring and installing a receptacle and plug. I've also shown the passenger seat after two coats of Leatherique dye. I will give it one more coat - very thin coats applied with a microfiber cloth using a rotary motion. I first applied (2) coats of Leatherique rejuvenator oil, letting each coat sit out in the sun on a 95 deg. F. day. I cleaned each coat with Leatherique Prestin Clean and let it sit for a day, then applied a coat of Leatherique Prepping Agent, wiped it off and let it sit another day, then started applying the Dye. The rear seats are complete, just have the drivers seat to do. The bolster on the entry side of the passenger seat was cracked and looked pretty nasty. I filled the cracks with Leatherique filler and wet sanded with 1000 grit wetting the paper in Prestin Clean. I'm very pleased with the Leatherique system, but it is really time consuming.Name:  Underside Passenger Seat 1.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  61.2 KBName:  Passenger Seat 1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  50.3 KBName:  Underside Passenger Seat 2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  63.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clarksonvalley View Post
    How do you remove the plug from the seat heater switch???Name:  Seat Heater Switch.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  37.5 KB

I don't see anything you can depress, etc.
    Okay in this picture after studying it closer, it looks like there is a little black tab that holds the light blue plug in there.

It has to be stupid simple. I'll go look and see what I can find, might have one of those in the garage somewhere.

Right online I found something, looks like I am correct in the little blue thing unplugging:

Last edited by 632 Regal; 07-18-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast