GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fixed VANOS w/Beisan's...perfect..est drive... half way through blew head gasket??

Default fixed VANOS w/Beisan's...perfect..est drive... half way through blew head gasket??

THink I blew the headgasket.. PLEASE read 'cause I need help!

I bought the parts, tools and did the vanos seal, rattle, and intake cam diaphragm exactly as described over at Beisan.

Everything went like clockwork. It was rather easy, and fun... Again, take your time and follow the directions.. read them three times!

Went for the test drive.

Car started perfect, no check engine lights,.... just my same old instant start eager engine.

Drove really REALLY nice... silky smooth and steady power delivery.. subtle but noticeable.

Went 3 miles, THEN got on interstate... engine temp middle like always.. everything seems great except a hint more power and smoothness.
    Kept the windows open to see if I could hear that vanos rattle... it was GONE!

4 miles on the interstate maxed at 85mph and hit rev limiter (auto).. car was perfect, like her old self just much smoother and more pull.
    Get off at the exit ramp, loop around to get on the interstate and return home... the onramp she just lost power.... felt like she started missing.

Limped it home at 55mph... thinking the timing "slipped" or something cr azy.
    Make it home (I'm 3 miles from the interstate)... pop the hood and there's coolant boiling in my spark plug wells.

AGAIN... temp needle in the middle. I stressed thinking I overtightened something and cracked the head.. except I didn't.
    I was METICULOUS about not overtighetning... kept thinking the head is aluminium.. and most of the torque specs were pretty low.

So I"m guessing it's a blown head gasket? There's coolant on my oil dipstick... there's coolant in the spark plug wells.

Questions:
    1. Did fixing the VANOS just cause me to blow the head gasket... or just a strange coincidence?
    2. How much harder is a 24C DOHC motor than an old chevy V8 (w/o overhead cams?)
    3. HOW do I clean out the lower portion of the block? and all the coolant hoses? just FLUSH FLUSH and FLUSH some more?
    4. Should I get the head sent out or inspected or whatever?
    5. Should I now get new valves, and opt for an M3 cam? ( i have the GM tranny that I think is only good for about 225Hp)
    6. What else should I do?

I really don't have time for this... how many hours might a local BMW indy charge me ?

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by RobPatt; 02-15-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Sounds like a cracked head if coolant is getting in the plug wells. Cant see how a HG would do that but hope for the best.
    Edit: Double check the front by the thermostat cover and water pump.

1. *Shouldn't* (just read through the complete procedure)
    2. A newer model chevy V8 with all the crap under the hood and stuffed into a sardine can, I would say your would be easier and take less time.
    3. drain, fill with conventional oil. Run it easy and drain, should get most of the coolant out. Don't need to add the full 8 quarts just 6 is fine for the rinse procedure.
    4. Absolutely!
    5. See what your up against first. Can change the trans to the 310R its stronger than your 270R unless you already have the 310R.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 02-16-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

4 miles on the interstate maxed at 85mph and hit rev limiter
    Wait what? You were cruising 85 at rev limiter rpms for 4 miles?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Wait what? You were cruising 85 at rev limiter rpms for 4 miles?

no no... just accelerated, hit top rpm, tranny shifts..... like that until settle into about 85 at about 31-3200 rpm...

then the 4 miles at the 31-3200 rpm till the exit ramp and loop around to get back on interstate going other direction...
    it was on the onramp loop that power puttered out and started missing.... (guess it was missing b/c water in the plug wells)

well almost have the head out... just trying to unclip the injectors then pull the intake... then the head.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Keep updates, I am very curious what you find.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

nothing obvious to me.
    head out... 7 hours including lunch, labelling and bagging... and way to long to figure out how to unclip the power side of the injectors....
    a few pix... any ideas?

have to find a head machine shop around here... biloxi, mississippi... afraid folks will flip on an alu do hc "bmw" head.

HOW HOW HOW to get the cams out? can I use the tech article at pelican parts?
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ft-removal.htm

Name:  IMG_2657.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_2658.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  81.4 KBName:  IMG_2660.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  103.5 KB
    Last edited by shogun; 02-17-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: double post merged

Coolant in the spark plug holes... All of them?... I would look at the top of the head and see if there is a crack in that vicinity. Take it to a reputable engine place. They will break it down and find the crack.

Did you have it resurfaced last time you took it off?

The Pelican parts method worked fine for me. It says you need two pairs of hands but you can do it on your own. Just don't let the cam twist. The only issue you may have is when you come to reassemble - it is quite difficult to get the first nut started.

I'm also curious to know how you get coolant in the plug wells
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Looks quite oily, burn a lot?

The injectors should have a clip that needs to be pressed in to pull the plug out. On the ones I couldn't get to I carefully worked the clip off completely then put back on the plug after.

I think your going to be throwing darts to find a reputable machine shop. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=biloxi+missippi+engine
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

it doesn't burn much... never needed to look after that... maybe a quart every 5,000 miles or per change....

talked to the mustang/vette builder hobby guys at work who recommended a guy out in the sticks.

http://www.yellowpages.com/saucier-m...=1000687426473

Took the head and gasket to McMurty's... he said head gasket shows signs of seepage but nothing obvious.
    Says head looks good. Only warping is a little high in the center... he said around 7 so I guess that's thousandths?

Someone commented whether the head has been off before and had work... I dont think so.
    He's going to shave it a little and somehow pressure test the seals on the valves.

He says he knows all about brittle hollow cams and the secret is to back them off a little by little... I don't know so I'm trusting he doesnt bust my cams taking them off to test the valves.

Worst case there's an S50 head w/90K on it in good condition I have my eye on... i think a good head with some miles may be better for my old bottom end than a newly rebuilt head.

who knows... time to go clean the engine while I wait on "test results"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast