GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fuel line from tank, the pressure one

Default Fuel line from tank, the pressure one

Fuel line from tank, the pressure one to the dual filters. Can it just be pulled out and replaced or is it mounted or clamped in some way?

My pressure line just before the fuel filters started spraying fuel along a 3 inch area. I cut that and temporarily spliced a piece in. The hose looks new but clearly dry rot along the side. Ordered hose and clamps but wondering if I can fish the new hose in or if I need to drop the tank. Any input appreciated, I replaced a tank many years ago but don't remember.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    Fuel line from tank, the pressure one to the dual filters. Can it just be pulled out and replaced or is it mounted or clamped in some way?

My pressure line just before the fuel filters started spraying fuel along a 3 inch area. I cut that and temporarily spliced a piece in. The hose looks new but clearly dry rot along the side. Ordered hose and clamps but wondering if I can fish the new hose in or if I need to drop the tank. Any input appreciated, I replaced a tank many years ago but don't remember.
    Hi Jeff, I'm pretty sure you're fine to remove and replace via the pump access panel and from underneath behind the axle/in front of the tank. Only lines mounted to the tank are the steel breather lines. Old fuel can take a toll of course. I hope she doesn't get all difficult about having her plumbing plundered, and you can enjoy your time under there :-)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

It had been a real joy. First time was taking the lil girl to school and smelling fuel, got home and lost 1/8 tank going a couple miles each way. Hahaha, no metal tubes for splices, no nothing, left it all when I moved. No clamps, working empty.

Found an old Honda thermostat with a steel barb that I heated with a torch as a splice. No small clamps but borrowed 2 from the doner 540 and 1 was already on the fuel hose. Did it and done for now. Drove to a job and all was well. Next morning to take kid to school it was spraying and hissing like I never tightened the clamp, but I did. Anyways took the old never driven Integra to drop her off, a genuine experience man. We did make it round trip though.

Came back and tightened the clamp which was 5mm, most likely rusted undersize. Seems to be ok for now, ordered some line rated for pressure and clamps to do it right so looking forward to more fuel running down my arms. First issue I ever had with a fuel leak let alone something like this. The line I cut out looks brand new but if you squeeze it, it splits with dry rot along the lettering.

I learned that I hate the smell of the new gas.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    It had been a real joy... I learned that I hate the smell of the new gas.
    LOL. Ah, be thankful for the go-juice Our Lord of chaos giveth and has chosen not to take away in a cloud of burning fuel. As much as old gas smells better, it doesn't bang so good. And begins to smell more like its beginnings, so we'll just count you lucky, for now ;-)

These fuel lines do have a usable/safe life somewhat less than 20 years, and its best to swap them out before they dissolve internally and fracture. Luckily, they tend to fail at the ends, and people seem to notice that before they burst further up the line.

Not in your case though, some cantankerous sod must have cleaned up the ends in previous repairs ;-)

However to add to the insult of a burst line, the damned hose clamps are always a problem on fuel lines, as most seem to pinch one spot rather than surround the joint with consistent pressure.

I've always had a mental note to buy a proper hose clamp tool since realising why BMW use the clamps they do, but never got round to it. Now a lot of manufacturers use them and your post made me realise its time to bite the bullet. It would make life so much simpler in the event you describe. I just ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174317608116? And the tool to set them with; https://www.ebay.com/itm/373164424292?

Best to have these before servicing your first BMW of course. I guess its just too bad we left it a few decades, mate!

Once I get mine, I'll be going round cutting the lines back an inch and replacing all my lovingly installed 'garden hose' clamps. Guess who the next person posting about burst fuel lines?!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I got these clamps because as you said conventional clamps don't really work as good as I want. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5-16-FU...72.m2749.l2649 I still haven't attempted this repair. I should just go and do it but worried I wont be able to just slide the hose in through the abyss.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

That was not painful at all! I spliced both together just in case I wouldn't be able to fish it through. Went from the top down and went right through. Took much longer to remove the cover and wheel than to replace the line. The new clamps have a lot of extended threads to angle away than the regular clamps. Even tho the new clamps are much better than the regular screw clamps. What ever successful mission. Without splicing the hoses I think it would have been more of a fishing expedition and been more of a challenge. My lawn suffers from the historical leakage of multiple times.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy