GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1995 bmw e34 service interval board replacement

Default 1995 bmw e34 service interval board replacement

I have a 1995 BMW 525i. After trying unsuccessfully, multiple time to reset my service indicator light and failing, I decided to contact Peake Research for some help. They told me that I may have a bad Service Interval computer board and to contact a company called "Programa" (http://www.programainc.com/) for the part.

Programa does indeed have the replacement part but they need it first to repair it or they can send me one to replace. Problem is....where is this thing located? I'm guessing it's under the dash somewhere, but where? Any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Understand it is in the Instrument Cluster itself. Have you tried the jumper reset ( http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ce_lights.html ) or just the Peake tool. I would verify for voltage to ground presence in pin 7 of DLink connector before doing anything else. Also be sure all your fuses are OK (emphasis on F1, F17 and F20).

It is inside you instrument cluster. But the repair is not cheap. There are plenty of instrument clusters available used in the market. Just buy another used one and swap the chip in the back from your old cluster to the new cluster and you have the original car data in your cluster. But first I would try the complete cluster from another car, maybe your chip is corrupted.
    Also important: get a cluster with the same backplate as the chip only fits into the same version, there were grey , white and blue backplate clusters. Also make sure that the same fuel tank size is shown on the cluster, otherwise you have a wrong reading, and also the same number of cylinders.
    Here you have all the differences in clusters and chips shown http://www.exx.se/maintenance/instru...34/index.shtml
    pinout here in detail, grey, blue, white cluster even pics pics http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-stecker-kombi.htm

There are always 4 connectors, one side X17, X16, the other side X271 and X502
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/299960/299960.html

In the cluster chip the following data are stored (German language with brief translation to English)
    1. Gesamtwegstrecke/total mileage km/miles
    SI-Stand = service interval info
    SI-Zeit = service interval time (for the clock sign in the cluster for brake fluid change)
    SI-Grenzwerte = service interval limit value
    3. Code-Nr. des Codiersteckers = code number of the code plug
    4. Verbrauchskennlinie = consumption characteristics
    5. Wegimpulszahl = impulse for speedmeter
    6. US/ECE -Ausfuehrung CC III = check control
    7. Tank /5 Stuetzpunkte (Liter/Anzeigewerte) fuel tank/5 basic points (liter/readings)
    8. Kuehlwasser-Temperaturanzeige/Stuetzpunkte = coolant - temperature gauge set points
    9. Kuehlwasseruebertemperaturgrenze = coolant water temperature high limit
    10. Grenzgeschwindigkeit (Limit) = limit speed
    11. Ton-Trigger-Ausfuehrung = sound trigger version
    12. Reserveraum fuer Fahrgestellnummer = spare space for chassis number
    13. Zylinderzahl = number of cylinders of the engine
    14. Programmanzeige ausblenden = delete gear indication (for example when a manual gear is installed)
    15. Landessprache CC III = original country language check control
    16. Gesamt-KM-Zaehler-Offset = total km/mileage counter offset
    17. Programmkonstanten = program constants

BTW: for the resetting of airbag/oil/inspection I have the right tool, all in one http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...Reset-Tool-NEW
    Last edited by shogun; 01-06-2015 at 06:12 PM.

additional info: what exactly does the Peake show? From their website:

flashing E on Peake tester = error-no communication
    = Communications error: See “Flashing E below”
    Flashing E: (in R5-FCX display) communication problem in the vehicle, please visit the following web page: www.r5tool.com/fcxtech.shtml

Technical Issues: the R5/FCX code tool

Problem 1: Error message "E" or E-10 /E-11
    Occasionally the R5/FCX will flash "E" when an attempt is made to read codes or reset the check engine light. "E" means the car is not responding to the tool: This happens when the data line (also called "diagnostic bus") in the car is "hung" or disabled. In order for the tool to access information from the car it must first "hand shake," like your computer modem does with your ISP. To properly handshake there must be a clear data line to communicate on. Imagine a household with multiple phones or modems all sharing the same phone line, well, the BMW is similar; it has multiple control units (transmission, ABS, traction control, etc...) If one of these units is tying up the communication line (like a teenage girl on the household phone) all other devices on the line are unable to communicate. This happens quite often, but try the following procedures in the order given to determine the nature of your problem.
    Things To Try:
    •1.) Insertion Depth
    Check the insertion depth of the R5/fcx. If it is not fully inserted the unit will not work. See page 11 of the user manual.
    •2.) Reversing the power-up sequence
    Plug in the R5/FCX in first, THEN turning on the ignition key. This is the opposite of the routine specified by the manual and the tool label. This procedure has proven very effective on some cars.
    •3.) Pin 19
    Observe that pin 19 of your diagnostic connector is not recessed. A number of models had pin 19 improperly installed. BMW service bulletin 12 05 94. (Please do not Contact Peake Research for service bulletins. Contact Central Letter Shop) While you're looking at the diag port go ahead and check out all the pins.
    •4.) Cycle power
    Plug in tool
    Cycle the ignition key on and off two or three times (do not start engine)

•5.) Other warning lights
    Observe that no other malfunction indicator lights are on. Often a malfunctioning module (i.e. transmission, ABS traction control, etc...) can hang the diagnostic bus (see above)
    •6.) Power resetting of all modules
    a.) Disconnect the main car battery.
    b.) Activate the emergency flasher lights (this will fully drain all power from all ECUs) wait 5 minutes
    c.) Reconnect the main battery and try the tool again.
    •7.) Module Troubleshooting
    If you suspect a particular module is malfunctioning or damaged, you may wish to consult repair documentation for the car and attempt to isolate the problem by removing the module from the diagnostic bus. WARNING: This procedure is for qualified mechanics only.
    ABS service bulletin 34 01 96: BMW circulated a service bulletin and low cost repair advice detailing the malfunction of the ABS unit wiring which caused diagnostic bus problems on a large number of BMWs. This is often the problem on BMWs built prior to 10/1994 that are getting the "E" message on the R5/fcx code tool. (Please do not Contact Peake Research for service bulletins. Contact Central Letter Shop)

No I haven't attempted to short it out. I did a fuse check and all was well.

Wow ! That's great information, thanks heaps! I'll give it a go!

In the back of my mind I was fearing that this may be the problem but I'm going to try the cheapest route first and if all else fails....