GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 a4s-270r to a4s-310r swap error

Default E36 a4s-270r to a4s-310r swap error

E36 a4s-270r to a4s-310r swap trans error light. Trans seems to work right but haven't confirmed due to a wheel bearing issue.

The original trans was 960.18032 RX from 06/96 328i the replacement is 960.17180 MW.
    Virtually no information on this issue and I have spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.

The 2 most definitive answers are #1. yes they will swap no issue and #2. no they are not compatible with a variable of #3. reprogramming or flashing the TCU.

Looking through realoem I can't find the specific MW trans so no clue what it is actually from. Closest idea from ebay is 94-95 325 but not according to realoem.

I tried disconnecting the battery with no difference in the dash light.

Anyone have an idea what should be the next step?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Did you also swap the transmission control module/TCU? Not sure if that makes a difference, but could be.
    Fluid filled up correctly? https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...+transmissions

Fluid is right. The TCU from earlier year is different plus I haven't figured what the MW is from exactly.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

What's the car doing Jeff? Anything besides the dash light going on?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Not sure if this is going to be of use but I started making a list of GM boxes by letter at some stage. I cannot find the original link but have RX for 328i M52 to 1/97 and MW for 325i M50 9/93 to 9/95. The file electran1.pdf confirms the EGS software versions would be GS 8.34 and GS 4.16 respectively. Doesn't realoem just show the number for reconditioned units i.e. not the original part number?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Recon units are essentially the original part number. Same with the TCU. What inside the trans would be different?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine View Post
    What's the car doing Jeff? Anything besides the dash light going on?
    So far dash light but we haven't driven the car more than about half mile. Talked to one person that said not to drive it until we get the computer issue solved. Whisky posted the software differences below. Not sure if we can go backwards but will look into it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Jeff, are you sure the replacement transmission is free of bugs? Did you verify the electronics, (Solenoids, sensors and wiring)? What was the problem with the old transmission; were there a dash light also? As you kept the old TCU, is it possible the old trany registered a code in the TCU that needs to be cleared?

Javier, not much info on the replacement trans besides it come from a car with a bad engine. I don't know how to test the solenoids or sensors. Trans seems to shift fine and goes into 4th, didn't wait for lockup. The fluid was pretty clean and no burnt smell.

Old trans only had 1st and reverse, totally burnt fluid and yes the dash light was on. I tried to clear the dash light by disconnecting the battery without success. Read that it might need to be reset with a coding/programmer, which would make sense (OBDII) and could be the whole issue with the light.

The thing that bothers me is the place we got the trans said not to drive around without fixing the light issue or could ruin the replacement. Not sure what that's worth but it stuck in my mind. They are the ones that said I will need to reprogram/flash the TCU when I told them the dash light was still on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I'm not a trany expert, so rely on the info I can find around. The 270 and 310 are about the same, the only difference I’ve seen reported is the maximum torque. The E36 06/96 uses the 270, the E39 same date uses the 310. In you check the ETK, they both use the same electric guts (solenoids, Pressure regulator, wiring, etc). Note both cars have a M52 engine, so the only reason to use a different autobox and TCU should be the Car specifications (weight, Differential ratio, etc.).
    I do not believe the issue comes from the TCU setting, as it is adjusted to the car it is in. But have seen contradictory postings on the way TCU holds the error codes. This post
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...smission+codes
    said the problem with the light was solved resetting the TCU, someone said no self-clearing of trans program code, but there is also who insist that it resets at power on if the fault is no longer perceived by the TCU (note genphreak and wiskychaser contributions). Think someone with documented information can tell us the truth.
    I feel it is necessary to read the TCU codes and reset them (Understand that ODBII does not do the job), unfortunately, I have no access to the wiring of the E36 or the A4S270R/310R to develop a basic test for the electric components (no ground faults in the system, reasonable continuity through solenoids and so).

I will be looking around for more info until you report: Problem Solved!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast