GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do about a rusty old E34

Default What to do about a rusty old E34

Hi y'all,
    I'm coming to the end of an era. I got to come to grips with the idea that my E34 will not last forever. I just can't bring myself to spend the money required to keep it going. I'm coming to you folks for advice. Should I part it out? Should I sell it for parts? Anyone interested in parts? Should I find someone who wants to continue driving it?

Here's the deal:
    It's a 1994 530i 5-speed, 284,000 miles. It needs a clutch pretty badly, but it's got a few miles left on it. If you're going to put a new clutch in it, it's going to need a new exhaust. If the exhaust come off, it's not going back on. It'll probably crumble in your hands. The tires are still OK, but they're going to be a little slippery once the snow flies. Most recently, the charging system started having problems. None of those things individually is a deal breaker, but the combination is a hard pill to swallow. Couple that with the rust that is slowly consuming the car, and I don't think i can invest the time or the money in it. The front jacking points are soft, all the doors are orange along the bottom, and I recently punched a hole in the trunk lid next to the license plate light with my finger.

The interior is clean and the engine is strong, but the car is turning to dust around it. I wanted to drive it until the engine gave out so I could make it into a coffee table. It looks like the motor is going to outlast the car. I'm still really looking forward to that coffee table, so I'm leaning toward parting the rest of the car out.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Name:  rsz_1397513753479.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  65.8 KBName:  rsz_1397513676559.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  63.5 KBName:  rsz_1397513654774.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  68.1 KBName:  rsz_1397513386825.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  68.9 KB
    -Nate

1994 530i

I just experienced this a couple months ago, Nikki started this way and I let her sit a couple years, was a job to swap winter and summer tires. The jack points disappeared on me. What I did was buy on ebay a newer (less mileage) southern car (georgia) and swapped all the good stuff from my existing car to the new one. A bit of work swapping stuff but I sold Nikki for 1650 which was more than my ebay purchase. A new thing to work on, I like it. The new one is almost ready to sell.

As to trying to repair that rust... wow. Personally I would say dont' bother.

Clean it up and sell it as a decent daily dependable driver. Hondas turn big numbers in price, old BMWs dont. Clean it up and take detailed pictures and hold your price, use that to get a southern car.

Not to sound bad but as a daily driver you could ask around 1850 and take 1500.. if it was a Honda add a grand. It's actually a good thing, I am fitting my whole family up with Bimmers, fvck Hondas.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 09-27-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Sheeet, you think I can get 1500 out of it? I wasn't even going to go that high. (shhh)

Once I get the charging issue sorted, I'll put 'er on the old lists of craig.
    -Nate

1994 530i

Quote Originally Posted by nk530 View Post
    Sheeet, you think I can get 1500 out of it? I wasn't even going to go that high. (shhh)

Once I get the charging issue sorted, I'll put 'er on the old lists of craig.
    I was asking 1950, someone contacted me from pretty far away and was going to actually look at it, at night in the dark. Took him for a death ride to about 120mph... sold 1650.

I cleaned all the surface rust I could and used spray bombs for the lower black areas and the matching paint for the color areas. From about 1000 feet you couldn't even tell lol.

cant find the pics but here was the CL ad:

1994 BMW - $1950

1994 BMW 530I transmission : automatic title status : clean

1994 BMW 530I Auto Transmission, power everything. Tires are decent, paint is good, car is pretty clean over all inside and out, no dents, no rips or holes inside. It starts, runs smooth, can drive it anywhere with no issues. Good daily driver. Mileage 250K, car has always been well maintained. Recent maintenance includes new front struts, thrust arms, control arms, all steering linkage, brakes, radiator, all new hoses, plugs, coils, synthetic fluids, twisted seat fix etc. Needs nothing, turn key and go.

Call for address and you can do a drive by and then call if interested.

Title in hand.
    I will remove the ad when the car is sold.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

such a tragedy, if it does come to a part out im interested all thing's black from the inside. My brother in law lives in the states, stuff can get shipped there. I now its a stuff around but as for the seats I cant ship then to OZ but the covers definitely plus all the other bits black and sendable. see how u go, best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
    such a tragedy, if it does come to a part out im interested all thing's black from the inside. My brother in law lives in the states, stuff can get shipped there. I now its a stuff around but as for the seats I cant ship then to OZ but the covers definitely plus all the other bits black and sendable. see how u go, best of luck
    Naw he wont part it, just swap the good bits to the new ride... I hope. There are millions of these being parted here, it's a shame but good for prices as we need things. Here in Eastern Tennessee I have seen maybe a total of 10 E34s in the 2 years we have been here.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I agree brother better to keep running than part anyday, got a nice 525i recently and shared with an enthusiast bro rather than part out. what I could do with if u happen to find some where in ur bountiful land is a black leather seat cover set and associated black pieces for interior. OZ is a very limited supply depot for such items E34. decent condition pieces in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
    I agree brother better to keep running than part anyday, got a nice 525i recently and shared with an enthusiast bro rather than part out. what I could do with if u happen to find some where in ur bountiful land is a black leather seat cover set and associated black pieces for interior. OZ is a very limited supply depot for such items E34. decent condition pieces in particular.
    That sucks, we derailed NK530 thread. Anyways put your requests into a new thread in the main forum. Get a ton of hits and perhaps someone sees it through a google search.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

didn't mean to derail it man! was just a conversation. sorryNK530

haha no problem. It's always interesting to hear about the state of E34's in various places around the globe.
    -Nate

1994 530i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast