GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought one! need answers on 5-speed

Rina120@yahoo.com Guest

Default Bought one! need answers on 5-speed

I pick it up this week
    It's 93 525i black/tan interior with 130K miles, 5 speed (my first and I am a bit scared of learning how to drive it, but I will).
    Anyhow, it was one owner and all service was done at the dealer. Many new parts except for one - the clutch.

So I am assuming since I am a new driver and this is the original clutch that I will most likely blow it.

My question: when a clutch "goes", what exactly does that mean? I have been dong research and I see master cylinder, slave, flywheel etc.
    I am trying to figure out how much I need to put aside for this bill. Have any of you done it yourselves? I'm pretty mechanical and would love to just take care of it before the winter if it's not too difficult.

TIA and it's good to be back

ed did a powerpoint of when he did his on his 535i. go to the main page, its there. i clikced on the links, though, and they seemed to be dead. i would assume he has them stashed somewhere, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Rina120@yahoo.com
    I pick it up this week
    It's 93 525i black/tan interior with 130K miles, 5 speed (my first and I am a bit scared of learning how to drive it, but I will).
    Anyhow, it was one owner and all service was done at the dealer. Many new parts except for one - the clutch.

So I am assuming since I am a new driver and this is the original clutch that I will most likely blow it.

My question: when a clutch "goes", what exactly does that mean? I have been dong research and I see master cylinder, slave, flywheel etc.
    I am trying to figure out how much I need to put aside for this bill. Have any of you done it yourselves? I'm pretty mechanical and would love to just take care of it before the winter if it's not too difficult.

TIA and it's good to be back
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

E34's are SUPER easy to learn stick on. My girlfriends first time driving stick was in my M5, she got it figured out in about 3 minutes.

Rina120@yahoo.com Guest

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
    I will let you know how well I make out since I need to learn how to drive it back! ha ha

I have replaced the clutch/flywheel twice on my '93 525i. I'm kind of a veteran at it now :P Where do you live, maybe i could save you a few bucks
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Rina120@yahoo.com Guest

Thanks for the offer man, but unfourtunately from you profile, I see that you are far far away. I'm in King of Prussia, PA, just outside of philadelphia.
    Anyone else interested in helping me

jon k is nearby, he could be of some help i'm sure.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Hey, i'm in West Chester! I've never done a clutch before, but i'm sure Jon K and I could be pursuaded to help

Rina120@yahoo.com Guest

Hey Geak! If you see a black 5 series stalled on the side of the road on thursday with a girl behind the wheel crying, it's me and I figured out the HARD WAY that I can't drive stick! hee hee.

I'll provide the beer and the parts

Default Geeze.....

1....A Damsel in distress.

2....In a BMW.

3....Willing to buy the beer.

I'm thinking about taking a ride that aways myself! Hold On Rina!! I'm only about 22 hours away! I'm sure that someone will gladly come to your rescue soon. Good luck......and the stick thing isn't that hard to master. Just work on letting the clutch out sloooooooowly. And if all else looks like disaster, just stomp down on the clutch, roll to a stop and take it out of gear.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast