GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Diesel engine motor oil

Default Diesel engine motor oil

I dug up some information on the net about usage of Rotella T6 to eliminate piston slap. Would like to try that.

Has anyone used diesel engine motor oil in their cars and what were the results?
    Any opinions otherwise?
    Any opinions or experiences (oil choice wise) in the efforts to eliminate piston slap?

deleted air conditioning

If you have a catalytic converter then i wouldn't use it. Are you sure its piston slap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post
    If you have a catalytic converter then i wouldn't use it. Are you sure its piston slap?
    There is the noise, and the pistons are worn at sides, between wrist pin spaces, in the manner of having been rubbed. This is how it looks (not my picture) :

Name:  100_0059.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  74.2 KB

I tried to help the situation by cutting notches in the connecting rods, to have more oil getting in the cylinder, but haven't gotten to starting the engine yet:

Name:  0807141617.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  30.4 KB

The slap subsides dramatically, even to point of non existence, when the car turns left fast. The engine feels smoother then, and I thought this probably has to do with a change in oil level wherein having leaned against the left of the sump it possibly gets picked up by the crank and thrown at grater extent into the cylinder, eliminating the slap. So I decided to cut the notches to have more oil come up into the cylinders.

Last edited by Rustam; 09-03-2014 at 10:34 AM.

deleted air conditioning

I can't speak to the piston issues, but when I had my E36 M3, I ran T6 with no issues. It was highly recommended amongst the E36 M3 crowd (US-spec S50/52 engine).
    -Mike

Past - E36 328i, E36 M3, E39 M5, E53 X5 4.4
    Present - E12 528i, E34 540i, E36 M3

thank you

deleted air conditioning

Thanks Bill, never learned that before A+
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Also from me a thanks, did not know that too. I will copy the text here, just in case that site disappears one day:

Comparing Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oils
    I’ve been instructing the Fundamentals of Machinery Lubrication course for a few years now, and many times the course has been the birthplace of the articles I’ve written. The questions and discussions in the course are very representative of what the average maintenance professional is curious about. Most tend to like the discussions about passenger car and truck oils because they not only affect them at work but also at home. In fact, I use this curiosity to my advantage. If I ever notice a subject is starting to bore an audience, I’ll find a way to incorporate an automotive twist to it. Soon all the ears seem to perk up. This article is no different. I plan to explore the similarities and differences between gasoline and diesel engine oils to appease your curiosity.

In the broadest sense, gas and diesel engine oils have the same anatomy or makeup. They are formulated from the blending of base oils and additives to achieve a set of desired performance characteristics. From this simple definition, we start to diverge when examining the lubricant’s required performance for each engine type.
    Emissions and the Catalytic Converter

A catalytic converter is a housing that contains porous metal filler located between the engine and muffler in the exhaust system. Its role is to convert toxic emissions coming from the engine to stable byproducts before they enter the atmosphere. Some of the byproducts of combustion (lead, zinc and phosphorus) can severely cripple the converter’s ability to perform this job. Therein lies the first major difference between the oils. Diesel engine oils have a higher anti-wear (AW) load in the form of zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP). The catalytic converters in diesel systems are designed to be able to deal with this problem, while the gasoline systems are not. This is one of the main reasons you don’t want to use a diesel engine oil in your gasoline engine. If your automobile was built prior to 1975, there is a good chance it does not have a catalytic converter, and thus the above statements do not apply.
    Viscosity

Viscosity is the single most important property of a lubricant. When I am working as a consultant and designing a lubrication program, one of the first steps I take is to calculate required viscosities. Getting the right viscosity is of the utmost importance. The selected viscosity needs to be pumpable at the lowest start-up temperature while still protecting the components at in-service temperatures.

Typically, diesel engine oil will have a higher viscosity. If we were to put this higher viscosity in a gasoline engine, several problems might arise. The first is heat generation from internal fluid friction. I’ve covered before how this heat affects the life of an oil. A good rule of thumb is that for every 10 degrees C you increase the temperature, you cut the life in half. The second problem is the low-temperature pumpability of this higher viscosity. During cold starts, the oil may be very thick and difficult for the oil pump to deliver to the vital engine components in the lifter valley. This most certainly will lead to premature wear, as the components will be interacting without the benefit of lubrication.

Additive Levels

Diesel engine oil has more additives per volume. The most prevalent are overbase detergent additives. This additive has several jobs, but the main ones are to neutralize acids and clean. Diesel engines create a great deal more soot and combustion byproducts. Through blow-by, these find their way into the crankcase, forcing the oil to deal with them. When you put this extra additive load in a gasoline engine, the effects can be devastating to performance. The detergent will work as it is designed and try to clean the cylinder walls. This can have an adverse effect on the seal between the rings and liner, resulting in lost compression and efficiency.

So how do you know if an oil has been designed for gasoline or diesel engines? When reading a label, look for the API (American Petroleum Institute) doughnut. In the top section of this doughnut will be a service designation. This designation will either start with an “S” (service or spark ignition) for gasoline engines or a “C” (commercial or compression ignition) for diesel engines.

Machinery Lubrication (10/2011)

That's a great article - Great to see you here Bill!
    --Micah O'C
    '17 M2 6MT, Mineral Grey
    '04 330i ZHP
    '88 M5 2791445
    '92 M5T BL01001
    formerly '90 535iM, '92 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    This designation will either start with an “S” (service or spark ignition) for gasoline engines or a “C” (commercial or compression ignition) for diesel engines.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy