GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Starting a flooded V8

Default Starting a flooded V8

M60 can suffer from flooding under certain conditions. The usual cause is starting a cold car and moving it a few feet and then stopping it again. This often causes no problems, but where the battery voltage is low and the air temperature is hot the engine floods and will fail to start again. Repeated attempts to start the engine just results in a flat battery, even jump-starting the engine fails.
    More from Timm here http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Flooded_M60_Start.htm

When mine flooded I had to crank it over a few minutes with the accelerator mashed to the floor. Apparently when cranking with the peddle floored it cuts the fuel pump and allows the engine to dry out. When cranking you will eventually hear it trying to fire on a couple cylinders before it comes back to life.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Heh, applies to M50 as well, probably any Motronic after v3.xx until some point at which they found a way to automatically resolve 'this bug' that only showed up in the field. Assuming they have ever noticed it.

Crazier things happen, like that VAG engine cut-out problem VW is presently defending itself against in Court because no-one is yet extracting the operational data forensically or running enough analysis- all of it has to be done properly so they can prove there is a bug in an admissible way. Probably they need a group of test cars to run some logging all the CANbus data (as well as each of the other module's diagnostics data) at the same time as any such one of these intermittent faults occur.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!