GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i no start

Default 535i no start

Hi all, this car had been running fine for about a year, then while out for a drive one day it was turned off and has not gone since, I had to toe it home.
    Things that work, all lights,wipers,horn,heater fan,lighter,both fusible links are good,power to all fuses front and rear power boxers.
    Things that don't work, windows,sunroof,instrument cluster but the odometer part works and no start on the key, however with the key in position two it can be started by jumping the starter. This is my first bimmer wiring gremlin so any and all help would be appreciated, e34 and older, is it curable lol.

Yes of course, and it won't be hard. Is it automatic? What build date? Does it have an alarm? Does it have the early infra red remote keys? There are many variables. (Your description says you have a 540). Probably need to check your VIN number to see what options came on the car and also look under the rear seat for those (or aftermarket alarms, etc.)

First check is to make sure the auto trans lever is in Nuetral or Park. Quite possibly, its safety switch is faulty which is preventing the starter working when you hit position 3 with the key. Best to move the handle back and forth, pressure it side to side whilst in these positions.

You need to confirm power is hot in all the right points whilst the key is in Position 2. If the 50A fusible link is original replace it. Jumper it with thick wire to test, and be absolutely sure to keep it from shorting during the process ;-)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!