GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No smart@ss remarks, pls. How do you break the bead on a tight tire?

Default No smart@ss remarks, pls. How do you break the bead on a tight tire?

i've changed other tires before (bike, motorcycle size, unimportant trailer ones) without the machines....just wondering, what do you old folks do to brake the bead on a car tire? i've tried standing on it, crowbar, lowering a washing machine onto its edge with a hydraulic jack....i'm thinking my next step it to get a long plank of wood, put it on the edge of the tire, and drive the e34 onto the plank. any suggestions?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default No smart remarks...your askin for a lot!

I use an old style bumper jack, put the foot of it against the rim on the bead and jack it against anything that wont move.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

a big WTF....i ran over it as close as i possibly could get to the rim edge with mumsies ford taurus. i heard it exhale its air through the removed valve stem. i pulled and pulled, thinking it had to have been broken for all of that air to exit it. i roll off, and i hear the same air go back in.......any suggestions?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Take it to a friggin' garage!

Once you get it off the rim, I assume that you're then going to eventually re-mount it on another rim?? Or put another tire on that rim? Just how the heck are you going to accomplish that??? Get in mumsy's car and take it to Sears for God sakes!!!!

OK, I'm though.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

if i take it to sears, the terrorists win brian.

its a f'd up tire that died in 20k miles. i'm mounting a used tire to establish wear patterns of my suspension so that i don't kill a good set of 4 new tires when i get everything fixed.. it aint brain surgery, it should have popped its cherry when my fat ass jumped up and down on it. I can buy a used tire for 20 including mounting, an amount i would have to pay close to to just get a tire changed somewhere....just have to find the right place in the ghetto to pop it off. Putting a tire back on is quite easy, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C.
    Once you get it off the rim, I assume that you're then going to eventually re-mount it on another rim?? Or put another tire on that rim? Just how the heck are you going to accomplish that??? Get in mumsy's car and take it to Sears for God sakes!!!!

OK, I'm though.

Brian C.

Default OK, 1st...interrogate it. 2nd...shoot it.

You ARE on the 7 year plan at UF, aren't you.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

I paid $10.00 to get a tire swapped and rebalanced. For all of the time you'll spend fighting that thing you could have earned $10.00

10 dallaz????good lawd that's a lot of money. i don't work for the guv'mint. the only place i could earn 10 an hour is giving plasma, and you need a tire to do that i'm thinking that the e34 will be heavier, so i'll give it a whirl tomorrow, after excessively soaping the rim down and spraying it with wd40, ill leave the car on it for 30 mins or so, that should dislodge it. and i don't plan on spending more than 6 yrs there, including MS, brian. too many foiine 20 year olds for me not to stick around there for a little more than i need to.

Best Way?
    ...empty all the air out of the tire and jack the car up as high as it will go...then kick the jack out and let the car free fall onto the wheel. This will bend the rim and you will be able to get a crow bar in there to remove the tire. That is the easiest way. Anybody who tries to remove a tire from a BMW alloy rim without a tire machine is....well, I will let you other guys fill in the blank...lol.
    George

part of my desire to do it myself stems from the last time i saw somebody do tires on this rim, i wanted to f'ing curse at him. i have done this in a way that i've put only minimal scratches on it....the tulip type hydraulic remover that most places use would do more damage to this rim in one application than i've done in one day, just due to operator roughness, and i loathe to think what the standard pneumatic shovel type would do.

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Best Way?
    ...empty all the air out of the tire and jack the car up as high as it will go...then kick the jack out and let the car free fall onto the wheel. This will bend the rim and you will be able to get a crow bar in there to remove the tire. That is the easiest way. Anybody who tries to remove a tire from a BMW alloy rim without a tire machine is....well, I will let you other guys fill in the blank...lol.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast