GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 94 540i 5hp30 no forward

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal View Post
    What if it does infact go forward in manual/winter mode? Mean it's just the VB issue?
    A clutch is used on gears 1-4. In winter mode, it starts in second. So it sounds like the A clutch may be OK but there is an issue with engaging first gear.
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    A clutch is used on gears 1-4. In winter mode, it starts in second. So it sounds like the A clutch may be OK but there is an issue with engaging first gear.
    Thanks, according to Kirt he says pull the pan and if there are aluminum chunks it's the drum. If no chunks then it's the valvebody. I have also read of someone that had no chunks but it was the drum. Just trying to understand as much as possible with this.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well, as you probably know, they often split where the circlip fits. Bits get ejected like shrapnel and are very easy to spot in the pan. I would guess he also told you that the root cause is probably wear in the pressure regulator? They will run for a little while with a blown drum but you can't really call it normal operation.

Am I right in thinking you get gears 2-5 and reverse but no 1st gear?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Well, as you probably know, they often split where the circlip fits. Bits get ejected like shrapnel and are very easy to spot in the pan. I would guess he also told you that the root cause is probably wear in the pressure regulator? They will run for a little while with a blown drum but you can't really call it normal operation.

Am I right in thinking you get gears 2-5 and reverse but no 1st gear?
    I really cant tell if it's 1st or 2nd, my boy 'borrowed' my battery and I am in the dark with it. It wont move in any forward gears unless 'M' is pressed (reverse and drive same time?). Only bought the car and moved it a couple times, don't even know if it shifts which is why I want to be armed with info before I go on in there. Reverse shudders, most likely low on fluid but no leaks. Someone might have been in the pan before I bought it so if there are no chunks it may have been emptied. Hate to do effort on the VB if I need to transfer it to another trans.

I haven't spoke with Kirt in many years just found a hot topic on the subject. He was pretty adamant about the valve body update though and didn't specify pressure regulator. But yes that is what seems to be an issue with the 5hp30's.

I know the 5hp-19 from the '3 series had some serious issues about blowing out the circlip retainer bits on the drum due to the sticking regulator. My sons car has that exact issue at the moment on his 323i. The GM's trans from the same era had an intermittent issue with reverse which is a solenoid.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234