GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I replace the FULL THROTTLE switch?

Default Should I replace the FULL THROTTLE switch?

1990 325is. During trouble shooting the bad idle, discovered that the full throttle switch has a resistance of 25 to 100 Ohms when closed. It should be close to zero Ohms (The idle switch is close to zero.). 100 Ohms is surely a lot less than infinity (open switch), but I don't know if it is low enough for the DME to reliably interpret it and provide the appropriate mixture enrichment. I can't notice any obvious problems under full throttle operation. It seems fast and smooth, with no stumbling upon acceleration.

Should I change this switch?

it won't hurt the running being bad but if it works it may help power
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Reomve off the cover and clean the contacts w/ 320 grit emery cloth.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    1990 325is. During trouble shooting the bad idle, discovered that the full throttle switch has a resistance of 25 to 100 Ohms when closed. It should be close to zero Ohms (The idle switch is close to zero.). 100 Ohms is surely a lot less than infinity (open switch), but I don't know if it is low enough for the DME to reliably interpret it and provide the appropriate mixture enrichment. I can't notice any obvious problems under full throttle operation. It seems fast and smooth, with no stumbling upon acceleration.

Should I change this switch?
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default Switch and relay contacts NEVER should be cleaned

with sandpaper and the like. This will cause pitting, arcing, and failure within a short time. If I go to the trouble to take it apart, I will put in a new switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Reomve off the cover and clean the contacts w/ 320 grit emery cloth.

Paul Shovestul

Default Never? Nonsense. As someone who......

Never? Nonsense. As someone who has done this successfully on numerous occasions, I completely disagree. Furthermore, since it's likely your contacts HAVE already failed, you can't possibly make them any worse. Emery cloth and sand paper are completely different animals.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    with sandpaper and the like. This will cause pitting, arcing, and failure within a short time. If I go to the trouble to take it apart, I will put in a new switch.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

it's usually just oil that's screwing with them on the tps wot switch
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Ditto, I agree with Winfred,... frequently the oil that comes up in the form

of mist from the crankcase and gets sucked into the manifold will settle out some and it ends up in the tps gumming up the works... frequently if you take it apart and clean it up with some contact cleaner it will work fine.. And since its a low amperage contact point they usually aren't burnt... And all electrical contact point manufacturers state not to file or sand their contact points for the reasons that Warren stated.. On large amp carrying contactors its the kiss of death but you can usually get away with it on something like these switches that don't carry any current.. and if i was in a bind i would file or sand them anyway just to get me out of the bind...such as a 115F day and my home ac compressor has kicked out on overload cause one set of contacts have arced out and its trying to run on one phase of power.... That said i wouldn't hesitate to clean them up with some emery cloth if the overall condition of the switch looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    it's usually just oil that's screwing with them on the tps wot switch

Default I'd say the harder part is getting that cover off...

...and not fubaring the switch. When I opened up my old TPS for this picture, I don't think it would have been possible to put humpty-dumpty back together again. I recall the cover came off in several piece's even though I was trying to be careful as I pryed it apart.

Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    of mist from the crankcase and gets sucked into the manifold will settle out some and it ends up in the tps gumming up the works... frequently if you take it apart and clean it up with some contact cleaner it will work fine.. And since its a low amperage contact point they usually aren't burnt... And all electrical contact point manufacturers state not to file or sand their contact points for the reasons that Warren stated.. On large amp carrying contactors its the kiss of death but you can usually get away with it on something like these switches that don't carry any current.. and if i was in a bind i would file or sand them anyway just to get me out of the bind...such as a 115F day and my home ac compressor has kicked out on overload cause one set of contacts have arced out and its trying to run on one phase of power.... That said i wouldn't hesitate to clean them up with some emery cloth if the overall condition of the switch looked pretty good.

Default Thats what model car glue is for... or in my case abs cement : )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    ...and not fubaring the switch. When I opened up my old TPS for this picture, I don't think it would have been possible to put humpty-dumpty back together again. I recall the cover came off in several piece's even though I was trying to be careful as I pryed it apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast